Recommendations for an everyday car

Elaine

Lifer
I may be moving away from Dorset at the end of the year and I am trying to think of some cars that would be good, comfortable and reliable for doing a lot of miles…

Does not have to be Jap, if anything I think I would prefer it not to be Jap as I might feel the need to mod it lol

I would like something a bit newer than the GT not that would be hard. I do really like golf and Audis but I think they might be a bit out of my price range…

I think at a max I would have about 4k to spend

Thanks E :)

chimp

Member +
I'm not really big on french cars but my step brother swears by his 206gti and his wife loves her 307.

I would consider going for a focus perhaps

Elaine

Lifer
Seat Ibiza TDi good thinking Ian I do like the look of these...

My best friend has a 307D and its very nice she only pays £35 a year to tax it but I think there a bit out of my price range???

I like the older shape focus but I was under the imprestion they were a very weak engine????

By the way I think I will want a 5 door car :(

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Yeah you can pick up nice Mk4 Golf for around 3k and under these days which is pretty reliable, comfortable and if you get a TD not too bad on fuel!

T

clelland

Fresh Recruit
i thought that about the mondeo too i went from a fiesta to that then from that into a starlet and sooooo miss the mondeo for comfort but id go along the lines of a golf td if you want something smaller or even a seat steer clear of peugeots

white-ep82

Member +
a mk3 golf tdi - bit of umph, bullet proof engine that can go to 300k onwards. very comfortable for long drives and come with leather/air con etc. 4k should get you a nice example. WOuldnt consider anything else at that price for a daily driver

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
my mum had the seat and i thought it was great, gave you a big dollop of torque right down low which made it great round town, it had a sporty ride without being harsh and had enough toys like climate control and whatnot

over the 5 years she owned it the only major thing to go wrong were the front coil springs snapped within weeks of each other, one on the night she was trading it in.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
i've got that mondeo estate and even that old barge is totally reliable and nice to drive. survived Le Mans with only a noisey power steering pump (caused by those donuts on the last day :homer: )

sx_turbo

Lifer
something with 4 wheels and an engine :p could even have 3 wheels he he he

but on a serious note i would just buy a cheap £100 shitter, just something reliable and very very cheap to run

starbogt

Member +
we had a peugeot 406hdi and had that many costly problems we sold it for a loss and got a golf vr6 thats costs less to run due to its reliability and the vr6 is also 5years older too. I would go either german or jap french in my opinion aren't very reliable with age. Golf tdi and ibiza are the same car with different shell so its how you see each car!

Elaine

Lifer
Thanks lads I am very greatful for your help I like the look of the Golf and Seat I need something that will be nice to drive on the motor way and something that is easy to look after, as I will be away a lot and I am a bit picky about having ppl work on my car, I might have to get my hands dirty and do my own services :(

I dont want leather had it in the 200 never again!!!

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
mk3 should be cheaper I would say mk4, they go as low as £2500.00 for high milers but the mk3 is also a good buy but wouldn't pay more than 2k personally.. What about a Toyota Chaser Tourer V JX90, in your price range, quick, crap on fuel but oh my do they drift :p

jzx90_MarkII.jpg

T

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
we had a peugeot 406hdi and had that many costly problems we sold it for a loss and got a golf vr6 thats costs less to run due to its reliability and the vr6 is also 5years older too. I would go either german or jap french in my opinion aren't very reliable with age. Golf tdi and ibiza are the same car with different shell so its how you see each car!

the ibiza is based on the polo chassis but you're right they are made from the same parts.

can't see the sense in vw anymore, eg the leon FR TFSI is a golf GTi for 3 grand less.

sx_turbo

Lifer
elaine if you do join the raf i wouldnt recomend having 2 cars.

my brother is in the army and hardly drives his car. he dont get to come home very often he prob comes home every few months

Elaine

Lifer
Ricky I dont want a £100 shitter I need something that I am going to like!!!

Toby your a shit this is the sort of thing I am trying not to get tempted by!!!! If I had my way I would go 200sx s14a or TT supra but it’s just not the idea car….. Well it is but my bank manger will not like either with a GT