Reducing Td04l lag

jamesbaa

Member +
Go 5e...

possibly reduce the route off your intercooler piping i know that can affect lag, but other than that i cant see you ever getting the TD04 to spool as quick at a CT9 on the 4e due to its size, i know in scooby's they have preety much no lag but there 2.0L!

i was wondering because i'm on a small island with a lot of curves. and would like minimum lag, but ct9 hybrids are more expensive to replace. i want a turbo that will accelerate quick

Glanza D

Member +
reduce boost pipes as much as possible, a good boost managment, loads of headwork

wouldnt be same as a ct9 but any good driver could keep it on boost

350ep70gr

Member +
Shorter piping route is to follow the chargecooller solution.
Well design mani will help also as much as a good tune.
Also some standalone have the ALS feature that is not recomended for every day use but can do a lot in reducing lag times.
Chris

finx

Member +
ditch the tdo4 and go 5e ct9. no lagg at all. 5psin at 1500rpm and full boost (9psi) by 1800rpm
or just go 5e as stated above.
also as above short piping route for intercooler will help as well as a smaller core size. smaller pipe will help lagg as well, and bend designs etc. 2inch should be sufficent.

or if you want to go hardout get some port and combustion chamber work done on the head. brings responce right up.

Pav

Member +
I found a lightweight flywheel helped a bit too. My hybrid reached full boost (1 bar around 3600-3700 rpms, a well setup standard td04 on standard head is capable of doing this (or getting very close) with an ebc Im sure.

Rory

Lifer
Possible indeed.
I dont find the TD04 laggy at all.

Personally 3.5k im getting 1bar or so. ;)

I found a lightweight flywheel helped a bit too. My hybrid reached full boost (1 bar around 3600-3700 rpms, a well setup standard td04 on standard head is capable of doing this (or getting very close) with an ebc Im sure.

ditch the tdo4 and go 5e ct9. no lagg at all. 5psin at 1500rpm and full boost (9psi) by 1800rpm
or just go 5e as stated above.

the ct9 on a 5e will boost like there is no tomorrow,,,,,but a big downside is that the ct9 is really a bit too small for the 5e,,,and will run out of puff even faster than on the 4e (maybe around 5000rpm),,,the car will be quite zippy,,,,but have no real top end speed

the 5e tdo4l combination however ,,,,will help the tdo4l spool better....
others areas---fmic piping, ebc, tuned management (at least emanage ultimate), P&P, external wastegate, light weight flywheel (but this also has its advs/disadvs)

these things should get u at 1 bar on a tdo4l between 3000-3500rpm on a 4e and somewhat lower on a 5e

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
I'm getting 0.3 bar by 2k 1 bar before 3k easy, an she still not set up yet, and I have a big intercooler and 3" piping LOL

T

tdo4starlet

would there be more lag with a larger front mount intercooler ,,,or would there be last lag in a smaller front mount intercooler ....any diference?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

richglanzav

Member +
td04 is better anyway lol...great compromise between power and response...mine for example hits full boost (1.2bar) at just about 4000rpm i think, and its just perfect like that...piss easy to drive it off boost and get great petrol economy, and piss easy to keep it in boost and have 250+ odd hp on tap.

is there any point having a stock turbo on a 5e lol

Pav

Member +
would there be more lag with a larger front mount intercooler ,,,or would there be last lag in a smaller front mount intercooler ....any diference?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Theoretically there should be more lag on a larger cooler setup, think about it physically mate, the air has to travel further before it becomes pressurised.

In the real world though, it makes very little difference. I noticed no extra lag going from a stock front mount to an hdi fmic, which is a big one.

Pav

Member +
td04 is better anyway lol...great compromise between power and response...mine for example hits full boost (1.2bar) at just about 4000rpm i think, and its just perfect like that...piss easy to drive it off boost and get great petrol economy, and piss easy to keep it in boost and have 250+ odd hp on tap.

is there any point having a stock turbo on a 5e lol

The perfect setup, exactly why Im going from a hybrid to td04 :)

Pav

Member +
Yeah, a ball bearing turbo would help defo. I nearly bought a vf22, but it was a little too large (the largest in the vf range), so settled for a td04l.

Gaz, I take it you've run an 04 and the vf23. How do they compare?

I think the type r uses a vf30 or 34?

Last edited: