running TD04L without waterlines

this is specifically in reference to the subaru td04l which is so popular among the starlet community

now what the general take on this
how do you all feel about running a tdo4l without any water through it---no waterlines attached

do u think it reduces the life of the tdo4l turbo...do u think it will harm the tdo4l turbo in the long-run??..

all views and experiences welcomed:)

and those of you who are running a tdo4l set up....can u state if u have water lines connected or not.........PLUS if you have ever had overheating/radiator problems

thanks

G

gaz_turbo1

dantheman ran without them, but why no connect them up, takes all of 2 mins, and why build a turbo with water lines, its there for a reason

and dantheman made mad power with his set up...300bhp i think

yes there are there.....so maybe for a reason.....but a lot of people also argue that its the oil that really cools the turbo and not the water....some say water is a very marginal cooling effect for the turbo-----but by extension it may be a little bit more impactful on your cooling system with the heat transfer from the turbo.....how does that sound

i'm not stating that i beleive one way or the other.....i'm just putting across some information for discssion purposes

keep the views coming

Adam_Glanza

Member +
well no oil is mainly to lubricate the bearings, but yes it does help heat transfer.

i cant see why it would hurt? it could only make a positive affect running it with water cooling also.

and as for the water heating up extra in the turbo, tbh it isnt gonna get much hotter than when it goes threw the block etc neway!!

i think you should use the water neway, i do and ive had no problems but its down to you mate

oh...this post is not for me.....just something that crossed my mind based on observing several tdo4l set ups...with and without waterlines

imo it makes no difference if the waterlines are used or not----as it does not seem to make any impact that i can see over an extended period of time

the first time i saw/heard of a tdo4l running without water lines...i figured that the turbo would go bust in a few runs....LOL........boy was i wrong.....turbo still looks like new and no problems........then to my amazement, i found out many people actually run the tdo4l without waterlines attached (no water cooling)

maybe it does have some impact on the life of the tdo4l turbo.....but so far, i have no evidence of this at all----that's why this tread is up

Spoonz

Member +
and dantheman made mad power with his set up...300bhp i think

yes there are there.....so maybe for a reason.....but a lot of people also argue that its the oil that really cools the turbo and not the water....some say water is a very marginal cooling effect for the turbo-----but by extension it may be a little bit more impactful on your cooling system with the heat transfer from the turbo.....how does that sound

i'm not stating that i beleive one way or the other.....i'm just putting across some information for discssion purposes

keep the views coming

true indeed but if i remeber correct that was a TD04 hybird and had a hudge spec list ie gas flowed head etc

Jay

Admin
I'm running the trackcar's TD04 without water cooling.

I didn't want to overpower the already reduced cooling circuit with a hot turbine. 80 miles semi-turbo'ed and no problems yet.

Spoonz

Member +
yeah he had a hybrid tdo4 (basically tdo5 internals).....but it still held up

yea im not saying it didn't but it didnt produce that power cause it had no water lines IMO why not run them they cost like 60 quid from sam (speed vision) and its that added piece of mind

mayzie

Member +
they dont provide better cooling and theyr a waste of time if u ask me... I havent used them on mine and it runs fine....
Made 210bhp at 0.9 on the rollers...

Phil

Super Moderator
no definite downsides either way.....yet

but wat would be the arguement for not using them?

is it just because of a little bit of cooling differences?

that sounds particulary like the only arguement for running them aswell?!

so like gorgan says both sides still seem to fit.

so what would you prefer worst comes to the worst, melted turbo(no waterlines) or mangled engine(with waterlines)