Softening Tein Coilovers

clarkey205

Member +
hi,
just wondering if anyone knows how to soften tein coilovers, as christ, the roads in japan must be flat as a pancake. where i live, there are a few speed bumps and the roads are crap. i think road tax, where does tht go? browns pocket i bet, its a sham.

the reason i'm askin, is cos i didnt get any paperwork ,and rather than mess with em, i'd thought i'd ask the people who knew best lol

Iv got the lil allen key with the green top and everything just no papers/diagrams.

any help would be much appriciated

cheers,
adam

Last edited:

TurboDave

Member +
On the top of the top mounts there is a hole for a small allen key, it may be covered by a cap if you adjust that on both sides not sure if its clockwise or anti but you will be able to work it out it adjusts dampening which may be your problem.

Failing that if your car is simply too low as a result of the coilovers being wound up too much increasing the spring rate and making the ride hard you will need to wind them down using a tein tool.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Failing that if your car is simply too low as a result of the coilovers being wound up too much increasing the spring rate and making the ride hard you will need to wind them down using a tein tool.

Depending on the model of coilover you can have seperate height and spring rate adjustment so you can still have it as low as you want but with a softer spring rate.

If you start fiddling with the spring rates though its best to get them set up properly. It should make a good improvement.;)

TurboDave

Member +
sounds like you have stiff spring rates, adjusting the damper rate will make only a small difference

How can you possibly tell what is causing the bumpyness by reading a short explaination?

My coilovers make the car almost undrivable if the dampening is set too much.

TurboDave

Member +
Depending on the model of coilover you can have seperate height and spring rate adjustment so you can still have it as low as you want but with a softer spring rate.

If you start fiddling with the spring rates though its best to get them set up properly. It should make a good improvement.;)

Agreed but most of the Tein coilovers which are on cars which come in from the motherland are either HA or HR.

sx_turbo

Lifer
How can you possibly tell what is causing the bumpyness by reading a short explaination?

My coilovers make the car almost undrivable if the dampening is set too much.

the damper rates only make a small difference to ride harshness.

i'm not saying they dont make a difference i'm saying they make a small difference.

the spring rate makes more of a difference to ride harshness than damper rates do, thats all i'm saying