Still having a cam issue :(

danb87

South East England Area Rep
been back down too the rollers today too get my map checked etc after fitting new manifold an that.

seems there still an issue, an only thing we can think is exhaust cam timing.

whats happening is carsboosting, an then getting too around 5k an then drops off, my torque is actually higher than my bhp which ive been told shudn be.

car drives fine an that happy with it dont get me wrong just want too know why im having this issue.

when first got the engine we replaced the cambelt etc, an i was told too use the paseo timing belt settings etc which we did. as theres not a 4efte in the book.

obs going too check all that again this weekend, but could someone send me a link too the right settings too go by just incase there is a diffrence in what my mechanics books saying.

also been told worth buying an adjustable pulley so where can i get them?

thanks in advance

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
What turbo and engine management are you using?

Standard cams? 5E or 4E timing marks used?

danb87

Td04 mate, emanage ultimate. Erm 4e with standard cams done it too the same settings as the paseo ones i belive but with 4e mks but in womndering if maybe its diffrent or wrong :(

Sparky

Member +
Who told you to use the 5e timing mark?

The pulley can be set it 4e and 5e timing, think you have answered you own question mate, get it timed up for 4e, timing must be out a few degrees because the 5e block is taller.

J25GTi

Lifer
Who told you to use the 5e timing mark?

The pulley can be set it 4e and 5e timing, think you have answered you own question mate, get it timed up for 4e, timing must be out a few degrees because the 5e block is taller.

X2 if its set for a paseo its wrong for a 4e!

danb87

Sorry i dO recall it eing done 4e but by using the 5e guide if that makes sense? Sorry i dont kno the exact term.

Jay goes up as torques good an then 5k n drops where as it shud keep goin up too the redline

Sparky, no one said too use the 5 e mk just goo follow the guide for paseo but use 4e mate

weeJohn

Lifer
Its only 2 degrees different so it wont make a big difference anyway, but a 4E engine is best kept on the 4E marks with stock cams.

Remove the top cambelt cover and turn the top sprocket round until its lined up with the dot on the cap. Then look down to the crankshaft pulley and make sure the arrow on the pulley points to the mark on the block. I seen an example like this before as the belt was 1 tooth out on the bottom pulley.

danb87

what did yu or your mechanic set the timing too dan??

ill have too ask him tomoz mate im not sure of top of me head

Its only 2 degrees different so it wont make a big difference anyway, but a 4E engine is best kept on the 4E marks with stock cams.

Remove the top cambelt cover and turn the top sprocket round until its lined up with the dot on the cap. Then look down to the crankshaft pulley and make sure the arrow on the pulley points to the mark on the block. I seen an example like this before as the belt was 1 tooth out on the bottom pulley.

would it make a diffrence too the power droppin mate? if its not this what else is there turbo blades are all good, wastegate is welded shut properly now. ive got a mate popping down tomoz too help check it out he knows his stuff so he might have an idea on whats going on :(

weeJohn

Lifer
The belt being off a tooth will make a difference as it puts it out by about 12 degrees at the top from what I think I calculated before. The car I was at had little power over 5k, it felt like it was missing a spark after that. The 2 degrees on the different marks will make very little noticeable difference.

danb87

i just wanna get it sorted john nothing worse than havin small issues an not knowing what it is

Ted

Member +
when i first got my 4wd it was a torque monster but wouldnt really rev beyond 6000, was one tooth out on timing belt

jam35

Member +
adjustable cam pulley wont do much for you running standard cams, they can come in handy when running uprated cams though :)

danb87

could be timing belt then, it drives past 5k just loses power after it ted.

jam, ye ive been told they wont do much for it mate, maybe uprated cams should benext investment lol

danb87

right cams etc are all lined up perfectly. so slightly lost now. been told might be worth gettin the map up on a laptop then posting on here for advice as maybe somethings not quite been done right?

dan

Gtstu

Member +
hmm i have the same kind of issue and the same spec but with custom reground cams ,who mapped your car as i was told the cams were my issue

are the cams lined up properly at the "back".....2 dots on intake cam and 1 dot on exhaust cam ...these marks are very important as well...and should not be mixed up, as they are a few dots on the cams

Gtstu

Member +
ye he mapped mine too and said i wasnt making any more power past 1.3bar and he suspected the cam timing