Strange oil leak...

ChrisW

Lifer
Well unfortunately my pistons / piston rings went last week so the car is running like a bit of a dog at the minute :(!

Anyway, a few weeks ago I noticed a slight trickle of oil running down the compressor housing of my turbo and then slowly dripping off onto the floor. I am 99% sure that this oil is seeping from the IC pipe to turbo flange. I didn't think much of it then because the car wasnt smoking at all and it seemed to be running and boosting perfectly - so just thought i was coming from somewhere else. However someone has now suggested that it will be the turbo oil seals :confused:!

This would make sense but firstly I didnt have the turbo on for very long at all and secondly I have obviously stopped boosting since my engine pooed itself.

My car is obviously smoking quite badly due to the engine being fu*ked so I cant tell if any of this smoke is a result of the turbo, but the car did not smoke once before the engine let go, even though the turbo was on it! Ive also checked the BOV and inside the IC piping where the BOV is attached and there is no sign of oil (autobahn IC where BOV attaches above mani). My breather also routes to a catch can so it isnt recirculating into the EFI pipe.

Anyone got any other ideas what could be causing this??? Help and opinions would be VERY much appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
You will see excess oil in the I/C piping which is what I would imagine was happening, maybe a little leak which meant the desposits were leaking onto the compressor side. As you need to rebuild just remove the turbo when you take the engine out and inspect it probably fine but best to inspect regardless.

T

ChrisW

Lifer
You will see excess oil in the I/C piping which is what I would imagine was happening, maybe a little leak which meant the desposits were leaking onto the compressor side. As you need to rebuild just remove the turbo when you take the engine out and inspect it probably fine but best to inspect regardless.

T

So do you think there is another possibilty then Toby, other than the oil seals?? What should I look for when I take it off? Thanks for the response by the way, rep added :)

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Yes mate got 172-90-90-172, so definately shat lol! The amount of shit coming from the breather is also quite evident to say the least!

Just making sure.;) Mine was a lotworse than that, I had 0 and 5 psi on 3 and 4!:homer::(

I'd do as Toby suggested and just check the turbo when everything is coming out, the oil is prob just being blown out of the engine though from the now heavy breathing, especially sinceyou haven't been boosting.

However if you're really unlucky a bit of crap may have gotten into the sump and blocked the turbo oil feed then cooked the turbo.

sx_turbo

Lifer
thats bad news man.

more than likely it's just excess oil mate from the rings going.

i also hope you not still driving it like that

ChrisW

Lifer
Just making sure.;) Mine was a lotworse than that, I had 0 and 5 psi on 3 and 4!:homer::(

I'd do as Toby suggested and just check the turbo when everything is coming out, the oil is prob just being blown out of the engine though from the now heavy breathing, especially sinceyou haven't been boosting.

However if you're really unlucky a bit of crap may have gotten into the sump and blocked the turbo oil feed then cooked the turbo.

Fook that is bad lol!

It terms of the heavy breathing, my breather on the rocker cover isnt routed back into the intake, it goes to a catch can. Can oil be pushed through the manifold into the turbo?

As for a blockage in the oil feed, doesnt that mean the turbo would seize up, because I can still hear the turbo spooling up when I approach like 3k revs.

sx_turbo

Lifer
stop driving it chris.

because you are brathing heavy, it's possible that the excessive crankcase pressure has blown your turbo seals, it is possible.

it will also leak out of any other seal that is weak

ChrisW

Lifer
I know mate but Ive had to just drive it to work for the past week as I havnt been able to sort an alternative out! Work is only 2 miles away for me! Ive sorted a temp car now. I have driven it extremely cautiously though, changing gear at less than 3k revs every time and been as gentle as I can, havn't touched boost once.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
I know mate but Ive had to just drive it to work for the past week as I havnt been able to sort an alternative out! Work is only 2 miles away for me! Ive sorted a temp car now. I have driven it extremely cautiously though, changing gear at less than 3k revs every time and been as gentle as I can, havn't touched boost once.

2 miles?! Cycle you lazy git!:p I had to do it last year when my car was off the road that time.