dark_knight

Member +
just wondering, assuming an ambient air temp of about 25 deg C, what should i have as the norm readings for:
- coolant temp?
- oil temp?
- oil pressure?
all this based on non-abusive/gentle use of the car. urban/town driving off-boost.

running fairly standard on a ct9b @0.7bar, tmic, apexi high-flow intake, 2.5" through-pipe exhaust, 82 deg thermostat with green-stuff coolant. 20w-50 oil and engine is at 156k+ km.

getting some gauges installed and so far, only the coolant temp is hooked up and i often find readings of 90 deg C when in slow moving traffic but in motion, it will drop to about 84~86. i'm guessing this is coz of our hot weather but just want to make sure. what pressure and temps should i expect for oil..?

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds about right for coolant temp. air temp ranges from 30-40 degrees with that kind of ambient if your moving. will probably climb higher when your in traffic or stopped/going slow for any reason

dac69er

Super Moderator
not sure as i dont monitor those so cannot comment. you can do searches to find pressure as its been covered quite a few times. not so sure on the oil temp, but im sure thats been covered a few times also ;)

Rev

Member +
so far, only the coolant temp is hooked up and i often find readings of 90 deg C when in slow moving traffic but in motion, it will drop to about 84~86. i'm guessing this is coz of our hot weather but just want to make sure. what pressure and temps should i expect for oil..?

I have read a post that said the car ecu is designed to run at 90degC and any less temp the ecu will run rich untill it comes up to temp. I have also read that the optimum cylinder combustion temp is 90degC , the relationship between water temp and cylinder temp I guess depends where the sensor is placed but it sounds like you have a good setup on water but turning the boost up will add a lot more heat.. Oil temps ?

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
coolant temp pick-up location

Rev, my coolant temp is plugged in pretty close to where the dash temp sender is located -- i figured that would give me as accurate readings as possible so designed a joiner for it and thread-taped the entire thing to make it leak-proof.
i concur with the fact that fueling is directly affected by temps so will keep an eye on things. don't have a sandwich plate yet as i'm planning to pick oil pressure & temp readings from the oil filter location. i believe this is also the best spot..?

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
I have also read that the optimum cylinder combustion temp is 90degC?

Not a chance lol. Try like 1200degC.
Your water temp sounds fine, the oil pressure should be 1 bar every 1000rpm, although its nice to see slightly higher than that at idle.
Oil temp for 10w40 shouldn't really exceed about 105degC, not sure what it would be like for your oil grade.

dark_knight

Member +
thanks AdamB. once i get my oil temp gauge & sandwich plate, will let you know how this goes.. :)
some rep love to all of you.. :D

oh, and AdamB, i think Rev meant to post that the ideal cylinder temp is 900 deg C, not 90.. am i right Rev..? :D

dark_knight

Member +
air-con removal = higher coolant temps at idle?

i recently ditched my air-con.. and now my coolant temps seem to be higher. a little panicky but i just need to check with y'all if it's still within the engine operation safety envelope.

previously, i'd have an average of 90 deg C in slow moving traffic and it would drop to about 86 once in motion. the weather hasn't changed much and it's still sweltering hot but only now, i'm getting temps of up to 96~98 deg C!!!!!!
i would understand that the engine rad is short of one fan now as the air-con fan also used to trigger when the engine one was running. is this a possible reason..? also, why doesn't the thermo trigger switch keep the fan(s) on when temps are above it's trigger temp of about 92 deg C..? i would have thought that if the temps exceeded ~92, it would trigger the fan(s) and keep them on until the temp dropped below the threshold..?

Last edited:

ramses974

Member +
i recently ditched my air-con.. and now my coolant temps seem to be higher. a little panicky but i just need to check with y'all if it's still within the engine operation safety envelope.

previously, i'd have an average of 90 deg C in slow moving traffic and it would drop to about 86 once in motion. the weather hasn't changed much and it's still sweltering hot but only now, i'm getting temps of up to 96~98 deg C!!!!!!
i would understand that the engine rad is short of one fan now as the air-con fan also used to trigger when the engine one was running. is this a possible reason..? also, why doesn't the thermo trigger switch keep the fan(s) on when temps are above it's trigger temp of about 92 deg C..? i would have thought that if the temps exceeded ~92, it would trigger the fan(s) and keep them on until the temp dropped below the threshold..?

strange.. i am in Reunion island , and like you it is very hot in summer times .My car is a paseo , and there is less vent in the car compared to the glanza or Gt.When you reach 92c ,during the time fan is working you will rich 87 or 86c on only 1 fan .If not , be careful to get a blown headgasket or a future failure heagasket..
Perhaps am i wrong .

dark_knight

Member +
so ramses974, are you running a 4E-FTE in your paseo..? coz if it's not the same engine platform then it wouldn't exactly be the feedback i'm looking for.. :/

ramses974

Member +

Take a look at your fan condition , or temp switch ...

dark_knight

Member +
fan is working mint, & this was an overnight change as soon as i ditched the air-con setup so just going over everything to see what i could have missed.. :/

AdamB

Member +
Are you sure the fan is kicking in? You have to bridge a connector when removing the air con for the fan to come on at the right temp.

dark_knight

Member +
no AdamB, my platform is the glanza (p-sport) and so i didn't need to touch the electricals. this is only done on the GT. & yes, i am 107% certain that the fan is working & kicking in when it should because i can hear and see it.. :D

AdamB

Member +
Oo yeah sorry fair point :) What grade rad cap have you got? You are very close to boiling the water and will cause some damage.

dark_knight

Member +
my rad cap is set to pressure-release at 0.9bar and i'm running green-stuff coolant that's only about 500 miles old so i know it's not that.. now when on the move, i get about 86~88 deg C.. :(
maybe i could try and re-bleed the circuit..?

AdamB

Member +
Exactly what I was thinking mate, I thought maybe your rad cap isn't up to the job, and air is being drawn into the system allowing the coolant to boil.
Try giving it a bleed, what I would do is allow the engine to idle or fast idle until the fan kicks in with the rad cap off, then once it starts boiling over put the cap back on and go for a little blast for 5 mins round the block with the heater on, this allows any air in the heater matrix to come to the surface. Then when you get back just pop the rad cap off again ;)

Rev

Member +
Not a chance lol. Try like 1200degC.

@ Adam thanks I was not clear enough here. I was talking about the optimum water temperature of 90deg C that helps the cylinder temp reach auto ignition for proper combustion without encouraging preignition. This assists the cylinder temp before ignition but is is different to the temp at TDC , Temp after ignition and the cylinder exhaust temp.

@ dark_knight Nice try yes 900 degC is typical exhaust temp limit but the cylinder temp is greater as Adam has said remember that exhaust temp is just the left over heat after all the work is done.

Re a/c - I find the car runs cooler on the stock gauge with the ac switched on.

Last edited: