the difference between toyota valve stem seals

Adam_Glanza

Member +
hey guys,

i got a full engine gasket kit from toyota the other day, but noticed that all the seals where in seperate bags but with no labels on at all, so i dont know what the difference is between the two?

which ones will be the exhaust or the inlet?

one pack have a black sort of colouring and the other pack are grey..

hopefully someone can help out!

cheers.

and btw i have called toyota and there not sure either

Adam_Glanza

Member +
to the genius above im afraid ive tryed that and there aftermarket so that doesnt help me lol, cheers neway.

jay mate your a bit help thought u would be along to save the day :) rep added mate

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
lol... this is rare but im afraid i disagree with jay.. (*hides*)

brown are exhaust & silver are intake :)

kon

Adam_Glanza

Member +
LOL good job i double checked,

are we gonna have a battle of the starlet gods here?!?!??!

hybrid are u 100% mate? coz its going back together soon so obviously i need to make sure there right

edit :

kon are you referring to the body ( metal ) part of the seals or the actual seal itself

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
It's been argued before, I'm basing my answer on the 4EFE rebuild manual from Haynes. Wee John and I joked that the exhaust should have been brown as that's where the shit leaves the system :haha:

Seemed to work fine to me but as ever it's open to debate.

brownish/redish valve stem seals on the intake side

grayish vale stem seals on the exhaust side.

and i'm referring to the external color on the seals

according to the totyota part numbers....this the correct way--brownish case on the intake and the grayish case on the exhaust (again i mean the color on the outside of the valve stem seals)

yeah...i'm 101% sure.....in fact i'm more certain than that...lol

and like chris....that's the way i use them...NO problems

HOWEVER---please see...in my first build i did not know the difference....i mixed them all up and guess what,,,,i got no problems.....lol.....but i would not advices anyone to intentionally put them on the incorrect way

Last edited:

10secGT

Member +
im going to go ahead and say it doesnt matter 1 bit, if you buy spurious parts you get 16 of the same thing. the stems are the same diameter and by the time the temperature disperses through the head and valve guide to the seal both will be the same temperature so it wont matter if you put them zig zagged across the head they will still do the job

Adam_Glanza

Member +
ok guys cheers for that, makes it a bit easier neway.

just didnt want to stick them in, get them the wrong way round and end up having to do it all over again!

rep all round lads

Calum122

Member +
:/ No idea which way I put them round on my car :( Just spent £££ on this build and I worry I've ruined it at the very beginning.

This is somewhat, calming, to say the least. Some knowledgable people arguing which way round meaning that worse case scenario, my valve stem seals last a year? If not more? I can live with that.

I only just noticed this when I went with my brother the other day to get some directly from Toyota. £6.20 before VAT PER STEM SEAL? You are having a laugh. Bu I noticed that the part numbers were different. Grr. I hope that there is no substantial difference.