Timing

Big_Daddy

Member +
Just wanted to know how can you tell if your timing is out? what symptons would show this?
I got the feel im losing the high end kick at 5000rpm when you fell it kick again.

Big_Daddy

Member +
Decreased power, increased fuel consumption, exhaust popping on idle

how bad of a poping? on idle mines ok it just burps tiny bit. Get video 2morow. Fuel consumtion not realy.
Powerwise my car stopped boosting passed 0.55 instead of 0.65 so i just tweaked actuator for a mean time other day it hit fuel cut but only it 4gear if i put alot of load on it.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Decreased power, increased fuel consumption, exhaust popping on idle

if the timing isnt advanced enough then you will get decreased power, increased fuel consumption, but the exhaust in general will pop alot less.

if the timing is too advanced you may loose power if the ecu senses too much knock, but may also gain it, not sure about the fuel consumption tbh and the exhaust will pop more. engine will also run hotter. the engine is more likely to go bang in this situation.

i checked mine at the weekend and it was set to 0 degrees. i set it to 10 degrees (stock timing) and it made a hell of a difference. boosts up alot stronger and pops a little out the exhaust. you can hear the idle isnt quite as smooth as it was before with no advance. the fuel consumption is also better.

dac69er

Super Moderator
there is basically 2 marks on the lower cambelt cover and 1 on the lower pulley to line it up with.

the two marks on the cover are 0, used when fitting the cambelt to get the cam timing correct.

the other mark is 10, which you use to set your ignition timing. make sure the car is up to full operting temperature, in diagnostic mode (terminals TE1 and E1 linked in the diagnostic socket) and is idling as close to 700rpm as possible.

when you adjust the timing it adjusts the idle so if you make an adjustment reset the idle to 700 and double check the timing is on the 10 degree mark.

when your happy, stop the car, remove the link and start the car up again and your sorted.

GTnomez

Member +
dunc, the mechanism that the rota arm/ dizzy connects to can turn clock wise and anti-clockwise slightly.

Does that have an effect on the ignition/timing?

Chris@CCM

Member +
im going to make a tutorial up on how to do this along with a few other things its not a hard job at all and make make a load of difference

GTnomez

Member +

good man if you write one up also.........

Shit!! i did turn it anti and clockwise coz i wondered what it was! when i was replacing the rotor and dizzy as my ignition has been all over the place!

how do i go back to stock or make it better only by the moving of that mechanism? i see its connected to the cams in the head as it only fits one way.

thanks

GTnomez

Member +
so basically, because i messed about with the clock mechanism thing which the rotor is connected to, i could have potentially messed up the timing on the car?

so to correct this i have to do more work that messed it up and time it correctly on the cambelt side of the engine?

Chris@CCM

Member +
so basically, because i messed about with the clock mechanism thing which the rotor is connected to, i could have potentially messed up the timing on the car?

so to correct this i have to do more work that messed it up and time it correctly on the cambelt side of the engine?
not potentially dude u have messed up the timing lol u just use the light on the bottem pully to see were to set it u use the dizy to ajust it by turning it what ever way needed

Imo everyone should check this from time to time my car felt fine thats the truth mi16chris put a timming light on it and it was out a few degrees. Got it sorted now the car goes better even though it had no symtoms bar a sickening r/r figure .:)

GTnomez

Member +
Argh!! so i have messed up the timing, can that damage the engine? as is sometimes misses, real bad but most of the time when its warm its fine.

so its not that hard to correct then i assume, would it be better for some1 experience to do it or dya think i should be a hero?