Toms T.e.c.s Ecu

gayan_GT

Lifer
Hi guys... was looking around and came across this little goody called TOMS TECS ECU... and i was like "WTF????????????" iv never heard of this but it sounds pretty interesting ... does any one have any info/pics/prices about this???

cheers

Sham

Member +
DSC00470.jpg

ChrisGT

Member +
I'd imagine its the same as the JAM/Blitz units; premapped for a particular setup, but self learning capabilites (correct me if I'm wrong). Is it on your car then gayan?

dac69er

Super Moderator
it's just like a blitz/jam etc etc ecu, it is not self learning,

they adjust themselves depending on knock and the o2 reading on idle and cruising so they do self learn to a degree. more so than the likes of the power fc

dac69er

Super Moderator
What makes you so sure Ricky?

i do think the term 'self learning' is a bit misleading as it gives the impression you put it on and it sets itself up, which isnt strictly true.

it does have the ability to adjust, just like the stock ecu can. maybe to a slightly better degree than stock but know one knows for sure.

its just the wording i reckon ricky is not agreeing with on this one!?

sera_beetle

Member +
i have a Tom's ecu in my sera too.

if you open up the case they have a set of dip switches for different maps.

but no one has been able to tell me what the maps are and tom's wont reply to you.. i have tried.

it's just as good as all the plug and play ecu's like blitz.. but i think the self learning is a myth :confused:

dac69er

Super Moderator
i have a Tom's ecu in my sera too.

if you open up the case they have a set of dip switches for different maps.

but no one has been able to tell me what the maps are and tom's wont reply to you.. i have tried.

it's just as good as all the plug and play ecu's like blitz.. but i think the self learning is a myth :confused:

dip switches? thats a new one. never heard of that before in one of these ecus. would be cool to know what they did.

sx_turbo

Lifer
they adjust themselves depending on knock and the o2 reading on idle and cruising so they do self learn to a degree. more so than the likes of the power fc

the apexi pfc has to be told to look for a target a/f (unfortunately it cant do knock)

so that is not a problem.

these ecu's are just like the stock ecu's, they look for a target a/f ratio, and a target knock,

they have had little japanese people painstaikingly programming them for hours and hours, with plenty of r&d done.

they do not "self learn"

does the stock ecu "self learn" NO is the answer, and it is the same with these ecu's.

jap's made these ecu's run rich, just like toyota did with the standard ecu.

they look for a target a/f (i beleive on a stock engine when on full boost itbetween 11+10)

these ecu's stick to this same principle.

the reason the stock ecu doesnt do this is because of the built in fuel cut, as toyota never intended people to run the car's at there limit.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
tbh its like the blitz.. really overfuels.. we had tried one .. out of the 30+ ecus weve had in our hands throughout the years the toms was one of the most boring... for the gt deffo mines & jam are the best :)

kon

sx_turbo

Lifer
i do think the term 'self learning' is a bit misleading as it gives the impression you put it on and it sets itself up, which isnt strictly true.

it does have the ability to adjust, just like the stock ecu can. maybe to a slightly better degree than stock but know one knows for sure.

its just the wording i reckon ricky is not agreeing with on this one!?

yes duncan that is what i'm trying to say :)

Chris@CCM

Member +
i still have no idea how any one would pay 500 pounds for a ecu that u cant even map . so over price all ecus like this for starlets imo but ppl seam to pay it

dac69er

Super Moderator
i still have no idea how any one would pay 500 pounds for a ecu that u cant even map . so over price all ecus like this for starlets imo but ppl seam to pay it

they are an easy plug and play solution that have been tried and tested many times. no one has ever reported a blown engine due to one and everyone notices a difference with them. for the stock or hybrid ct9 starlet drivers this is a very good ecu setup.

if you dont have access to decent tuning facilities then this is a good option.

a mappable ecu is only as good as the person mapping it.
i know a bloke who had a jam ecu and changed to a power fc and gained only a few bhp. you could get that difference from day to day weather differences.

i agree they are limited but there are people running td04s on them with good results.

Phil

Super Moderator
also some people or one at least, with a blown engine due to the jam/blitz ecus advancing timing excessively.

Phil

dac69er

Super Moderator
also some people or one at least, with a blown engine due to the jam/blitz ecus advancing timing excessively.

Phil

the way i understand my jam ecu works is that it starts with a very safe setup then increases the timing advance until it senses knock. guess it does some trimming with the fuelling too.
if you advance the timing already then the ecu can only knock the advance back to that point, so if there is still det happening it cant do anything about it.

its quite noticeable as when you first fit the ecu it feels just like a stock one until its done a few miles then you notice the difference in performance and fuel economy.