Turbo Jacket/Blanket/Beenie

AdDaMan

Member +
Anybody use one of these at all?

Im going to be getting one but just thought id see if anyone has managed to get one for a good price?
Best ive seen for decent ones are about £80-90 from america or NZ.

Anyone? :)

sx_turbo

Lifer
yeah i got one of nicks, my turbo sits extremely close to the radiator and so i had to get one to stop the ali rad from melting and suffering heat soak, seems to work an absolute treat with a constant water temp of 84 degrees.

AdDaMan

Member +
did you test the temps before hand ricky?
My turbo is right next to the rad aswell and kicks out some serious amounts of heat.
Probably the hottest engine bay ive had.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
sry to jump into this. i always asked myself.. if it keeps heat in.. wouldnt it "cook" the oil left in the turbo after switching the car off? i know that most run turbo timers.. but still will keep a lot of heat.

AdDaMan

Member +
well i wondered this aswell....but apparently not..they say the help to actually stop the turbo from premature death in vast rapid temperature changes, which i dont think your ever going to see anyway unless you drive through icy puddles after ragging it!

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i know it puts a lot of heat but i wont trust it. before anyne says they use it on big power engines yes i know.. but thats cos turbo is sitting very close to stuff.

id prefer changing to a civic rad if the rad is your only concern dude. but thats just me :)

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Well why peoples...opinions please...:)

heat soak on the chra & directed towards intake side.. iv seen ppl notice an increase in intake temps with a turbo beenie..

well reading from supra, is200 forums that is lol..

kon

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
heat soak on the chra & directed towards intake side.. iv seen ppl notice an increase in intake temps with a turbo beenie..

well reading from supra, is200 forums that is lol..

kon

and what about the theory of "cooking" oil.. forming bad particals in the oil? or thats just shit thinking of mine? lol

HYBRID

and what about the theory of "cooking" oil.. forming bad particals in the oil? or thats just shit thinking of mine? lol

not really shel, as the cooldown period just takes longer, it wont be an increase in temperature, after the engine is off..

AdDaMan

Member +
in my cas Kon i think the intake temps will be higher without one as my intercooler pipe runs straight acrross the top of the exhaust housing! :(

HYBRID

in my cas Kon i think the intake temps will be higher without one as my intercooler pipe runs straight acrross the top of the exhaust housing! :(

hmm perhaps you should consider shielding the pipe itself then adam?

AdDaMan

Member +
well im definately wrapping it in heat reflective coating.
Heat soak is also a bitch when in traffic etc as the tubby is right next to the rad.

A few other pro's are that with ceramic coating you need to get the turbo taken off put back on etc plus if the turbo blows up and you buy another your coating is on the old one where as with a jacket you can just swap it..
hmm..