Ubuntu - Lucid Lynx

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
been using this for over a week now... transformed my laptop! much much faster and smooth!

i love it! everything i used to use on windows i found it on this or replaced it with another software that is good or better.

ubutu software center is great! work very similar to an iphone haha.. search for software and just install! im sure more software will be added during time..

best thing of this version is.. switch you computer wait a few seconds, when you see your desktop you can start using anything you want without having to wait for software to load etc..

also look wise is great.. themes etc... also you can ad a dock bar like on a mac.. (when i tried this on window it used to use a lot of memory!)

i went from dual boot to lucid lynx only.. thats how much i like it. :)

Screenshot.png

gv1.3

Admin
Agreed Sheldon, its a great OS.

My gf has a netbook and it had XP on it, was running really slow. I put the netbook edition of this on it and it worked great. The software centre is excellent and the base install has pretty much anything the average user would need straight away.

The install is simple and only took a few minutes.

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
i am a complete computer noob i just use it for car forums and you tube will this be any benefit to me ?? i do like the sound of a touchscreen :):)

gv1.3

Admin
If your current setup is doing what you need it to do then you dont need this, unless you like to tinker with things.

If your computer is running slowly or keeps crashing etc this would be a great option.

PS: if you dont have a touchscreen this wont give you one :) I mentioned that it was impressive that it picked up my touchscreen because most versions of linux I have used have never picked it up.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i am a complete computer noob i just use it for car forums and you tube will this be any benefit to me ?? i do like the sound of a touchscreen :):)

well if you dont have the hardware feature of a touch screen it will not transform you computer into a touch screen one!! lol

well... it could be that you will have some hardware compatibility issues.. and if your not so friendly with computers it would probably turn into a problem fro you to make your hardware work..

probably it will install just fine and work perfectly! but thats a risk you have to take. you can download it for free from the ubuntu website.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
If your current setup is doing what you need it to do then you dont need this, unless you like to tinker with things.

If your computer is running slowly or keeps crashing etc this would be a great option.

PS: if you dont have a touchscreen this wont give you one :) I mentioned that it was impressive that it picked up my touchscreen because most versions of linux I have used have never picked it up.

my wifi card was never recognized in any linux version i tried... (and i tried many) this was my first distro that had no problems with my wifi card!

gv1.3

Admin
it even picked up and had the settings for my at&t 3G datacard, it is a very impressive operating system and the first real alternative to windows that I have come across.

gv1.3

Admin
yeah 750hp Glanza... I can dream :p

The netbook version has a lovely interface for smaller netbook screens. The netbook I put it on was a HP mini 1000.

Make sure you get the netbook version though.

Also I made a bootable USB stick, you can run it straight from the USB stick and if you like it there is an option to install it to your harddrive.

lingl9z

Member +
Hmm do I need to format to install this or can I litrally dual boot straight away? May be a good idea just don't want to lose windows 7 =)

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Hmm do I need to format to install this or can I litrally dual boot straight away? May be a good idea just don't want to lose windows 7 =)

yep you can keep windows and dual boot, no need to partition etc yourself.. part of the setup :)

easy as installing any software on windows!

lingl9z

Member +
So I can litrally download/install without removing windows just wanna be sure, have to try and remeber when I get the net how big is the dl?

ChrisGT

Member +
Can I install on a freshly formatted HDD? Going to give it a go using the "Alternate" installer. Looks good.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
So I can litrally download/install without removing windows just wanna be sure, have to try and remeber when I get the net how big is the dl?

yes, just 700mb!

Can I install on a freshly formatted HDD? Going to give it a go using the "Alternate" installer. Looks good.

yep thats what i did. i have a hard drive with windows on it just in case anything goes wrong and another with lucid lynx. if anything goes wrong i just swap the hard drive in my laptop, but i never did as its working briliant :)