URGENT HELP NEEDED - Petrol In a Diesel

tom_hunt

Member +
Ayup every one.

Me mums gone and put petrol in her Toyota Hi Lux wich is a diesel.
Whats the best thing to do? Fill it up with diesel and take our time in it?

Thanks

Tom

Jay

Admin
How much petrol?

If it's only a £5/£10 just dilute it with as much diesel as you can fit in it.

Otherwise get it drained and the filter replaced.

tom_hunt

Member +
How much petrol?

If it's only a £5/£10 just dilute it with as much diesel as you can fit in it.

Otherwise get it drained and the filter replaced.

She said it was £20's worth so not to much. Should she just fill it up with diesel and change the filter then?

Tom

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
yeah basically... well u may not need to change the filter, as petrol (since a small amount) will help to clear the fuel system.. ok i know this sounds really far off lol, but i know ppl with diesel engines who put in 5L of petrol every few months with a full tank to clean the fuel system...

toyota diesel engines can pretty much widstand an earthquake lol...

kon

Jay

Admin
It's hard to give you a yes/no mate.

It used to be you could have gotten away with around £5 of incorrect fuel but nowadays that's not a lot of juice. £20's worth is risky - you could damage the injector pump/injectors. I would recommend getting it drained and the filter replaced to be 100% sure.

It's worth sticking to the side of caution with this sort of thing.

Timmy

Member +
You can't dilute it. The petrol will just sit on top of the diesel than all go through in one go. Just drain it and fill with diesel. If it hasn't been started i can't see any reason to change any parts.

tayyib

Lifer
a mate's seat ibiza tdi, had petrol put in it a few times by mistake by his stupid cousin, all the guy did was topped up with diesel and drove it normally, something i wouldnt risk though.

Jay

Admin
You can't dilute it. The petrol will just sit on top of the diesel than all go through in one go. Just drain it and fill with diesel. If it hasn't been started i can't see any reason to change any parts.

I didn't think that was the case mate, pretty sure they will mix and it would take them a few days to seperate again? In the case of a fuel tank road vibrations and cornering would keep the liquid moving to prevent this.

The petrol will act as a solvant and remove lubrication from parts of the injection system (prime example is injection pump/injector seals) thus causing damage. In the case of newer diesel engines fuel quality can mess things up, I've seen more than a few VAG engines die as a result.

Timmy

Member +
Thats why you can get away with a fivers worth as it kind mixes in a bit as you corner/change speed. £20 worth is more likely to come thru in one go. Thats how i understand it anyway. And like you say the older the diesel engine the more petrol they seem to be able to withstand.