using a moped?

monka

Member +
do you need a cbt to ride a moped?

i ahd one a few years ago before i had a full license and thinking about getting another one for work etc.

but do i need to go for a cbt again? as on my license it says that i can ride anything upto 125cc (maybe 50cc cant remember)

Julian-ep91

Member +
it depends on when you got your licence ive had my driving licence for 5years and i need a cbt before i can ride anything

Timmy

Member +
You need a cbt unless you got you lisence before something like 2001 anyway you'll be able to drive upto a 125cc with less than 33bhp. It's normaly cheaper to insure something bigger than a 50cc and that does more than 30mph.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
when i enquired you need your CBT regardless of how long you've held your license.

If you have a full car licence you may ride motorcycles up to 125 cc and 11 kW power output, with L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), on public roads, but you MUST first satisfactorily complete a CBT course if you have not already done so.

Timmy

Member +
You MUST first pass the theory test for motorcycles and then the moped practical test to obtain your full moped licence. If you passed your driving test before 1 February 2001 you are qualified to ride a moped without L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), although it is recommended that you complete CBT before riding on the road. If you passed your driving test after this date you MUST complete CBT before riding a moped on the road.

To me that reads that passing your test before feb 2001 qualifies you to ride without a cbt.

This mean my old man can ride a moped but i seriously wouldn't recommend it.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i missed out by about a month :(

government want cars off the road but this crap law is stopping me. after my 3rd cbt i couldnt be arsed anymore and just drive the car to work as i cant be bothered to go through all the hassle and expense of a full bike test.

Timmy

Member +
i missed out by about a month :(

government want cars off the road but this crap law is stopping me. after my 3rd cbt i couldnt be arsed anymore and just drive the car to work as i cant be bothered to go through all the hassle and expense of a full bike test.

The full test is piss, i did 1day training then took the full test as i didn't see anypoint in doing the cbt again.
That cost me £150 includeing the test and bike hire as i couldn't use my bike the turning circle was too tight.
The only thing mildly hard is the turn in the road which is pointless i mean i what real life situation would i not be able to put my foot on the ground to do the turn.

dac69er

Super Moderator
but surely there is the theory which costs about £50 at a guess?
also, not many places round my way do the full bike test anymore. the one i know about near me is a total prick and i cant stand him.

i was sure when i looked into it that it would have cost me about £300 for some training and all the tests and stuff?

Timmy

Member +
sorry yeh was an extra £25 for the theory test which was near identicle to the car test. Luckily i did it just before that stupid hazard preception thing so it was cheaper back than.
TBH if you've been driving for 2 years on a cbt and riding a proper geard 125 you probably don't need any training, the other people on the course with me were really struggleing because they were on a 5 day training crash course.
Also this was the bike test not direct access which is a bit harder. Only difference is you're restricted on horse power for the first 2 years, now i can drive big bikes but normally a 600 is big enough anyway. I wasn't old enough to do direct access so i was still able to drive big bikes before i was 21 anyways :) never got one tho.

dac69er

Super Moderator
ah right. the hazzard perception thing has been about a while now. probably a lot more expensive too i bet :(

i rode a moped for 2 years then an aprilia rs125, then went back to a scootay for another year.

your probably right about pissing the course. a lad i know is doing his soon so will ask him what it was like. if it aint too bad i might get my arse in gear and get it sorted.

dac69er

Super Moderator
'hazard perception' !!!! on a moped!!!!:confused:

surely everything is hazardous on a moped:eek:

the only thing hazardous on a moped is the moped itself. that 30mph restriction thing is the most lethal idea ever. its not fun doing 30mph on a dual carriageway, in the dark, when its raining, with crappy moped lights at rush hour :eek:

Adam_Glanza

Member +
sorry but whoever keeps a moped at 30mph? get it derestricted atleast, 50mph is alot safer and easier imo.

nothing more dangerous than having cars overtaking you when you cant keep up with traffic