valve stem seals, which way round

monka

Member +
am i correct in thinking that the coloured one (redish) goes on the intake and the uncoloured one goes on the exhaust, thats how the old ones seem to have come off at least

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
hmmm i dont have reddish ones... all i have are silver & goldish ones... this is odd lol...

SiCaln

Member +
thats cool, are there any physical differences though? ie if iv just put em in will it make any difference?

TurboDave

Member +
Brown'ish ones go on exhaust green on intake.

The only reason for the different colours I can think of is a higher heat resitance for the exhaust ones.

:)

SiCaln

Member +
according to the toyota guide, intake is brown, exhaust is black

Rob at SES says not to worry tho lol

according to the toyota guide, intake is brown, exhaust is black

Rob at SES says not to worry tho lol

some people mix them up.....u MAY get a little smoke for a few heat cycles,,,but apparently that will go away when everything seals up...........BUT i recommend doing it correctly

ok...if any of u guys have ever replaced valve stem seals......u would realise upon removal that the brownish ones come from the intake side...........and the grayish ones come from the exhaust side

plus i checked this on more than one occasion at the toyota dealer

but do as u wish...all is well...lol

Jay

Admin
Brown ones go on the intake side - I remember joking with Wee John during a head rebuild that brown made more sense on the outlet side of things..:p

Info source: We were following a Haynes manual for the 4EFE at the time.

Jay

Admin
Interstingly there are lots of aftermarket valve stem seals available that are the same for both sides........................

Ahhh - that might explain things a little then with the mixture of colours mentioned.

For the record the ones we used were from Toyota and we got a set of brown for the intake and a set of dark grey/black for the exhaust side.

They came as part of the engine overhaul kit.

Jay