Warped block

ryan_v

Lifer
My head gasket went, so i bought everything to do the job properly and once. I was expecting the head to be possibly warped but when i took it all apart not only was the head warped the block was as well more than the tolerance.

Has any1 else had this problem and only expected to change the gasket and skim the head? What did use do? a few people have said to jus get the head done and bolt it together but thats rash imo, but on the other hand dont wanna strip everything:(

ryan_v

Lifer
i dont mind taking the engine out its striping it bare then maybe finding out more stuff needs replaced

danturbo4311

Member +
My block was warped, so i got the head & block skimmed, but i was changing the pistons & rods anyway, and i had the crank ground, so i took it all out, best just to get it out and do it then at least you no its ok, especially if its out of spec otherwise you'll have to strip it all down again and be even worse off.

ryan_v

Lifer
ok cheers, i know i will have to do it otherwise all the moneys ive spent so far would be a waste n have to do it twice. did ur crank needed reground? thats my worst fear

sx_turbo

Lifer
if its not knocking now or rattly then chances are it wont need regrinding.

but you wont know for sure until its apart.

the bearings should be a nice grey colour, and have no scoring and no bad pitting

danturbo4311

Member +
And you ll also be able to check the state of your pistons/cylinders/bearings, its better to no that you may have a problem not saying you will have, rather than building it back up and hoping for the best. One time i changed a headgasket as it was blown between the cylinders, sorted that out put it back together started it up and one of the pistons were also cracked so i had to strip it down again.

ryan_v

Lifer
when im taking the pistons out do i have to use a ridge reamer, to remove the ridge from the top of each cyclinder? and would i have to hone and replace rings? or would it be ok puting the original rings back in?

ryan_v

Lifer
And you ll also be able to check the state of your pistons/cylinders/bearings, its better to no that you may have a problem not saying you will have, rather than building it back up and hoping for the best. One time i changed a headgasket as it was blown between the cylinders, sorted that out put it back together started it up and one of the pistons were also cracked so i had to strip it down again.

That would suck so bad! i think id burn it lol

danturbo4311

Member +
Yea but my bearings were knocking and crank was damaged, no real need to grind it unless bearings or crank are damaged, You only need to use a ridge reamer if the cylinders have the ridge at the top of them you can feel it, speak to the machine place your taking it to, normally I do change the rings if there old upto you really, and if you change rings your supposed to horn cylinders all depends on the state of your cylinders really, definetly see what your machine shop says

Mike@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.Tuning
my block was warped too, stripped the whole lot and rebuilt it, peace of mind really fella, wouldn't wanna build it all back up then have to take it apart again :S

danturbo4311

Member +
I did full rebuild with forged bits
New oil pump
Crank ground new o/s bearings & thrust washers
Cylinders bored & horned with forged pistons, new rings o/s, forged con rods
New water pump, stripped down oil filter housing new gaskets & seals, cleaned/ degreased block new crank seals plus all skimming, head work & other bits . Depends how mad you wanna go & how much money you got really

sx_turbo

Lifer
if your pistons and rings are fine, then you can just put them back in without honing etc cos there already shaped to the cylinder

sx_turbo

Lifer
im pretty certain it be fine, if its not smoking (other than headgasket) and not making any strange noises it will be ok

ryan_v

Lifer
thank you for the help every1, theres a wee bit of a ridge at the sides and the front of the barrel is kinda shiny ill try n put a pic up will i have to change rings