water leak...help

affy

Lifer
car's leaking water out of the overflow tank, just replaced the water pump recently, but theres no other leak,

i fill up the radiator and the collont tank and while its running it will all leak out within an hour out of the overflow pipe

waht could be wrong........any help m uch aprreciated :)

Dave.

Member +
not 100% sure, but most people who i've heard with this problem fix it with a new radiator cap or an uprated 1.3bar cap...

Wonder what everyone else says about this...

affy

Lifer
just replaced the cap but same thing lol. (but its the same pressure 0.9)

you think its the pressure? was thinking of getting a higher one but dont know if thats the problem

Dave.

Member +
er, if the only change was a water pump i'd want a more experienced opinion than mine, but chances are an uprated cap would fix it :D

Dave

affy

Lifer
i'm hoping that too lol, will have to order one now,

first i had a pipe leak, fixed that, then a water pump now bloody this :flame:

the water in my car doesnt like me at all lol

who sells the cheapest 1.3 cap lol

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I've just had this very same problem. The mechanic said the rad was blocked so it was spitting water back into the expansion tank which was filling up then out the over flow. I was losing a lot of water. Got the rad flushed out and fitted a new thermostat (coz that was knackered too) and its been fine since.

dac69er

Super Moderator
why suggest putting ahigher pressure cap on to 'fix' such a problem? if the coolant system is experiencing problems you dont want to up the pressure.

Jay

Admin
Worth getting your rad refurbished/replaced at the same time if you haven't already. They can cause similar issues.

dac69er

Super Moderator
new rad is so cheap its worth doing just for the hell of it to be honest, especially if your going to mod the car.

affy

Lifer
hutchglanzav thats exactly whats mine doind at the moment, spitting it straight out, buy i also have bubbles in the water, still the gasket?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Pass mate, I don't know enough about motors to speculate. I just told you what the mechanic told me mate. Lets hope its not the head gasket though eh?! it costme £50 to fix the problem, I'd imagine a head gasket would be alot more!

Adam_Glanza

Member +
sounds normally like a headgasket, but you may be very lucky and just have a airlock in the system, but then again if its been doing it for a long time then the air should of been pushed out by now.. doesnt sound good mate! go get a pressure test done and youll no soon enough

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
if it is headgasket it's gone pretty seriously. when mine had gone it would only push water out under boost.

i reckon if it was the HG you would have had more warning signs than it suddenly throwing it's water out when idling.

affy

Lifer
the only sign for headgasket is the bubbles but am sure at the bottom of the head is usually wet when a headgasket goes.

but since its modified and runing 1bar you hink its coz of all that pressure, how much can standard gaskets take?

jimmer

Member +
it does sound like a headgasket mate, sorry to say. but any time i have heard of a headgasket go, it has bubbles comin out of the expasion tank/radiator. is there any residue on the underneath of you oil/radiator/expansion tank lids?

affy

Lifer
no residue in the radiator or tank, just abit of rust on the lid, browny stuff

i think its probably headgasket, bubbles all the time spitting out, how can you cure a bocked radiator? other then replacing it lol

Jay

Admin
No point half doing the job mate, a blown headgasket isn't usually the real fault, it's the result of something else (for example a blocked radiator). Get it all renewed in the one shot. Best way to be sure and avoid having to buy another headgasket.

affy

Lifer
thats the problem jay, lol how do you get it refurbished, dnt suppose i can do it? or is it a place for radiators?