weird high idle

tip

Member +
hi my starlet has a high idle problem, in the beginning it would idle 1800rpm, one night i started her i don't drive her everyday(i have free flow the cops are a pain in the a$#), and the car started idling 2200rpm.

- i checked the vacuum lines all are good(changed the ones that looked old) same ;

- i removed the tps plug while the car was running and no change, i connected the both bottom pins nothing changed;

- some one from wheels jamaica told me that he had the same problem and he bypassed the coolant lines going to the throttle body and it idled smoothly, i did it same thing, the car's throttle response is better now though;

- oh yeah i even turned the screw to set your idle to the bottom and stil nothing;
i scanned the car and got code 24( Intake Air Temp sensor no signal at THA
Intake air temp sensor
ECU)
and when i started the car i got code 51(Switch Condition Signal displayed when A/C is on when TE1 and E1 connected in test mode
A/C switch
Accelerator pedal, cable
ECU) Wtf is this??

can anyone help?

P.s the car is my brother's, so a friend of my brother says that he ''knows how to make headers and tune, so when my brother brought the car home i saw that the guy put the wastegate's vacuum on the intercooler piping, all i did is remove the vacuum from the IC piping and conect it to the throttlebody(i don't think that that's causing high idle?)

thanks tip

xtech

Fresh Recruit
Had a weird idle yesterday as well.
I started the car to let it warm up but when it warmed up started to rev up an down around 1500-2000.
Did everything to try to bring it down...but nadda

but low an behold it Turned out to be low on coolant an the car was already steaming out the rad cap when I opened it.

Filled it up while still running an the idle came down an back to normal in about 30sec

tip

Member +
Had a weird idle yesterday as well.
I started the car to let it warm up but when it warmed up started to rev up an down around 1500-2000.
Did everything to try to bring it down...but nadda

but low an behold it Turned out to be low on coolant an the car was already steaming out the rad cap when I opened it.

Filled it up while still running an the idle came down an back to normal in about 30sec

hi thanks for the reply my coolant level is ok i read about this in a few posts so i checked that to.

i think i'll remove the intake and throttle body and clean them up. hopefully this solves my problem.

tip

Member +
yes i know but before i removed the pipes the car was idlling high already, i read on a wheels jamajca forum that it helps getting you r idle down so i tried it...

corofin12345

Member +
find that odd cause if you remove those coolant pipes the cold start valve will be stuck open therefore high idle like when you start the car from cold

did you try the idle screw on the a A/C system? the white screw on the hoses just to the right of throttle body on bulkhead

tip

Member +
find that odd cause if you remove those coolant pipes the cold start valve will be stuck open therefore high idle like when you start the car from cold

did you try the idle screw on the a A/C system? the white screw on the hoses just to the right of throttle body on bulkhead

no i didn't i don't have the AC anymore but all the sensors are still on the car i'll check it now. now that this has come up if i don't have the AC cant i remove all the ac sensors and hoses?
i did read a post a while back of what can be removed and what not but i can't find it anymore

tip

Member +
here are the pics:
P200412_1101_01.jpg

P20-02-12_14-33.jpg

P17-02-12_14-09.jpg

P17-02-12_14-111.jpg

so i can unplug and remove all these sensors?? (pic below)
P200412_1105.jpg

tip

Member +
no, when i closed that opening the idle didn't change so i left it open. it has been like that for a long time.

so can i remove everything there??

corofin12345

Member +
yep and block the pipes on the inlet after (just a piece of hose and bolt in hose), does the rad fan work? normally after you disconnect the A/C on a gt the fan runs constant but im sure yee have solved that?

also are you running the hose off ex/wastegate to the metal pipe that goes up along cam cover???

tip

Member +
yep and block the pipes on the inlet after (just a piece of hose and bolt in hose), does the rad fan work? normally after you disconnect the A/C on a gt the fan runs constant but im sure yee have solved that?

also are you running the hose off ex/wastegate to the metal pipe that goes up along cam cover???

i didn't sort the fan actually, do you know what i can do solve this??

yes i have used the metal pipe cause the guy who installed the header connected the external wastegate to the intercooler piping, i asked him if it was done correctly he said yes..., but it didn't seem correct to me so i connected the vacuum of the ex wastegate to the vacuum of the intake, is what i have done good or bad??

thanks

corofin12345

Member +
thats grand, check that metal pipe, they do break.. just pull off the hose on top off the cam cover from metal pipe and block the hose with finger to see if the idle will lower, may be worth trying that with the blow off valve hose too just to make sure its not leaking there... (just getting my head around the setup so no harm checking step by step :) )

there a connector for the A/C under the fuse box.. (think its 4 pins) two of these pins have to be bridged to stop the fan running constant

tip

Member +
ok i will check it after i remove the AC sensors...

do you have a pic of the plugs and Which pins i should bridge??

thanks.

corofin12345

Member +
i dont im afraid, i have a glanza and its different.. just know that the offending connector is under are near the fuse box.. it would of been disconnected there when taking out the A/C

tip

Member +
ok so my BOV and ex wastegate are connected to one vacuum so i removed the hose and closed it with my finger no idle change. do you think i should strip and clean my intake manifold?? maybe that's the problem cause i haven't gone in that area of the car for a few years...

thanks

corofin12345

Member +
intake mani wont cause high idle... its one of many things..

vac leak
TPS
ICV
sticky BOV
break in vac source from to EX/WG to inlet mani
throttle body
WG stuck open

AdamB

Member +
ok i will check it after i remove the AC sensors...

do you have a pic of the plugs and Which pins i should bridge??

thanks.

When the AC is removed there is a plug that gets disconnected behind the passenger headlight, its a grey plug, it has 2 pins on it. Get a paperclip, bend it and cut it and just bridge the 2 terminals together, this will stop the fan running all the time.