What Direction - Discuss

What Direction

• Option #1 - Balls out Power

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Option #2 - Responsive Track Weapon

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Option #3 - Something else (Give example/ideas)

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Monkfish

Member +
After tonight I've decided I need to up my game. There are several cars in my area now that have caught up and surpassed The Bitch now. :(

I see two possible routes but I'm not sure what to go for...

Option #1 - Balls Out Power
This would involve strapping a larger turbo on, forging up and going for the big figures.

Upgrades would include...
TD04 or equivilent turbo
Forged rods and pistons
Billet Cams
LSD
Bigger Brakes

Option #2 - Responsive Track Weapon
This would involve sticking with a small turbo, aiming for lower figures but making her more responsive.

Upgrades would include...
Running a CT9a/b or CT12 to it's max
Lightened crank
Lightened flywheel
Billet Cams
A big diet

Now, with option #1, I can go for the big figures. 250bhp+ and a mental power to weight. Or, with Option #2 I can stick with the lower figures and make the engine far more responsive and less laggy whilst putting the car on the diet to increase the power to weight as much as possible.

Car Application
The Bitch is used as a daily drive to work. She also sees some fast road action on twisty A roads, plus some dual carriageway blastage. I will be taking her on track as often as possible.

Discuss :D

Last edited:

b0t13

Fresh Recruit
having a big powered car is great and all, but putting it down on the roads is another issue...

id go with the track weapon as itll be more fun to drive and make the car feel alot different :)
u wont lose handling either..

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
I am a great believer of the 220bhp is more than enough in a starlet methodology, 250 would be great but you can't beat a responsive machine, Torque and low end power should be your main aim IMO,

it's all well and good having big power but if it takes you ages to get to peak power and then when you reach it you cannot put it to the tarmac your wasting your time IMO,

My main focus is to get response and widening the peak power band, Hypothetically speaking say the standard power of a starlet goes from 5000 - 5600 rpm, i want it to start at 3500 and end at 6000 therefore giving you more usable power while not effecting driveability, also i want to get the car to climb the rev range as quickly as possible, therefore cutting down the acceleration times,

But here is my problem to increase the rev rate you have to either increase the torque or decrease the rotational weight of the engine, on a bigger capacity engine that wouldn't be a problem as the initial torque would be good enough for you to warrant a bit of sacrifice in torque to gain the extra response, but the torque in a 4EFTE engine is at a premium to say the least,

i see a lot of people boasting about having 300BHP Civic and yet a basically standard Subaru impreza can keep wit it for the first 200 meters because the didn't factor in the grip and torque factor their BHP hunger caused,

also you need to consider whether you have done adequate preparation for Big BHP, I.E. Brakes, Suspension and wheels and tyres, i reckon you would get as much enjoyment out of loosing a impreza or integra in the twisties then beating them in a straight line, plus it's a lot more practical for you to be chasing response and handling if you are keeping your car as a daily driver, after all you will get a lot more use out of them day to day.

so in short answer is go for Option #2 - Responsive Track Weapon

hope my rant didn't bore you :)

Kelly

Member +
Option 2

Come join us monky if having amazing track gt's ;)

Its great having the car boosting so early, the torque is unreal and because of all the handling mods gurantee you can show some evo's n scooby's up on the track!
Franza mentioned wanting the power in at 3300 - 6000 revs and thats exactly what our gt does.
Having seen your pics on the track you car looks the part on their and its much more fun that driving in a straight line. Plus with these 3sgte and 5e engines knocking about their aint much point trying to prove somethine with the 4e engine on the drag strip anymore.
And its much more fun wasting stuff with a low bhp and 4efte engine still ;)

rb69

Member +
I would go with the Track weapon!

I think you've answered you're own question there pal!

Car Application
The Bitch is used as a daily drive to work. She also sees some fast road action on twisty A roads, plus some dual carriageway blastage. I will be taking her on track as often as possible.

You should keep the low down torque for on the twisty bits and you'll still have enough power to give it a good pounding on the dual carriageway.

Monkfish

Member +
Fucking hell Frankie, lol. :homer:

Good response. #2 is my favoured option at the moment. I'd love to have "pub ammo" in saying I own a 1.3 that hoofs out 270bhp, but as you said, it's useless if it can't be put to the floor effectively. I want to get as close to, if not hit, 200bhp on a stock CT9, or go for a CT12 or similar, or get a Hybrid CT9. Either way, I want as much power without sacrificing responsiveness and that isn't going to cost me a fortune to do. :D

I love track racing Kelly, I'd do it all the time if I had the chance too. :D

Kelly

Member +
I love track racing Kelly, I'd do it all the time if I had the chance too. :D

well im keeping an eye all the time for spare places with skyline and evo and scooby track days they usually sometimes want ppl to fill gaps on track time so will keep ya posted if i find anythin interesting.

Monkfish

Member +
well im keeping an eye all the time for spare places with skyline and evo and scooby track days they usually sometimes want ppl to fill gaps on track time so will keep ya posted if i find anythin interesting.

That would be cool, although travelling might be a problem. I'd prefer a local track really so that I can get home reletively easily if I have a problem.