What ECU are the big guys running?

JDubz

Member +
Hey guys, im looking at getting a new ECU. Just wondering what all the big boys are using. Reason why im asking this is i dont wanna buy a ECU, then find later that im gonna have too upgrade again.

Im running a basic TD05 set up and ive been told to get a ECU next so i can remap and re tune my car.

So any input would help!

1998glanzav

Member +
This topic has been covered many times before. You should try the search function: There are many to choose from and it depends on if you want a standalone/piggyback/plug and play-

apexi power fc
motec
omex
aem
dta
emerald
hydra ems
hks v-pro
autronic
mr efi
kms
haltech
microtech
llumenition
Mines
Blitz Access
JAM
Emanage Blue and Ultimate

It also depends on your budget and what you want from your car. The most important thing to remember is to go with whatever ECU your tuner is most competent with. :)

Last edited:

cameroon95

Member +
No to seem like a noob but does the apexi power fc take care of fuel cut aswell?
i.e will i need a fcd and rising rate fuel regulator aswell?

I ask this because my local tuner loves the power fc

Kelly

Member +
We ran power fc on the k24 gt as its a full stand alone unit and most uk tuners prefer to work on them :)

tell me who likes to work with them - pleeeeze cos i dont know anyone

Hes in scotland mate so probably quite far out for you. Nevertheless, I see your in Brighouse and as far as I know the guys at Racing line in Halifax have mapped the FC's so you could speak to them. Iv never used Racing line ever so dont have any experience so carnt recommend them but no harm in talking to them and maybe getting feedback on them on here.

no matter wat ecu you choose iv always seen fpr's on them car! so yea id say ud still need the reg but fcd no;)

FPR's increase / decrease fuel pressure and that merely what they're used for. You dont NEED one when using the FC as via that you will increase / decrease fuelling.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
wel any car i seen usin any ecu always had fpr,and the tuner also said they need them! every tuner is differant doh

that is bollocks lol. my tuner actually refuses to use a car with a aftermarket fpr as they are known to be temperamental.

you do not need a adjustable fpr when using an aftermarket ecu as you can adjust the injector tolerance to compensate for more fuel

Rory

Lifer
Personally run a Mines ECu piggybacked with the Greddy Emanage Ultimate, mapped by
"The Dentist" www.dentistmapped.com

I dont use a RRFPR either, Tuner does not like them.

Soon to be replacing the Mines with the standard ecu, just for sale purposes.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Turns out he doesnt do starlets though:(.

back to the drawing board.

on a side note

WallaceGlanza- You know any good tuners in scotland? I cant seem to find much with any experiance with starlets

Simon at japerformance did a good job on mine, the place was changing management but should be up and running again soon so you could speak to him.;)

stedee

Member +
yeah i know racing line must be good because there is always a long wait to get in, took my car to rs tuning in leeds and got ripped for 400 quid for basically nothing so dont go there.

JDubz

Member +
Thanks for the feedback guys... Seems like the way to go is just as your, and see what he is comfortable with!

BTW i did use the search option, but the word (ECU) is too short to be searched for. Hence why i asked on here!

Also i didnt know the differnce between a standalone ecu or a piggyback ecu lol