What is the worst thing you have spent money on for your car?

gv1.3

Admin
Hi, just a thought I had which might save some newer members some cash and not make the same mistake you did!

So when you finally got your car and wanted to start modding it did you make any silly mistakes?

The first thing I did when I got my Glanza was buy "an air filter". Some lads I kinda knew "knew a guy who sells upgrades". I got them to get me some spurious shite cone filter and I fit it to my car. It was crap and overpriced and soon removed. It lives in my garage as a reminder to research things before handing over money.

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
i think i have being fairly lucky this way but i did buy 3 sets of wheel nuts before i got the right set to suit the advans lol and the cusco bmc nearly 100 euro and from what i can see it does feck all lol

Dan3SGTE

Member +
The worst thing i have spent money on for my car is deffo garage labour lol

AMEN to that!!!

Then again i didnt know a fraction of what i know now... You have to start somewhere i guess. But i recommend people trying a few things out themselves and if in doubt ask a mate for some help. Could save you a bundle of money.

Ive bought a few stupid parts in my time that havent served a purpose really, i cant really remember though.

nutta

Member +
CHEAP TYRES!!!!!

bought a set of nankangs until i could afford the toyos, and what a mistake that was, car felt like it was on ice

gv1.3

Admin
metal valves for my wheels off ebay.

When I brought them down to my local garage to get them fitted the lad told me "are you sure you want to put these on... at least twice a week I get people coming in with these where the valve has snapped or the cap has seized on the valve".

I told him to put them on and he did. A year later I couldnt get the caps off and ended up snapping one of them.

ryan-11

Member +
hdi boost controller, ebay external wastegate, hybrid ct9 (shoulda went td04 from the start) a recent head rebuild that has just fucked my engine. i could keep going lol.

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
hdi boost controller, ebay external wastegate, hybrid ct9 (shoulda went td04 from the start) a recent head rebuild that has just fucked my engine. i could keep going lol.

x2 hdi boost controller forgot about that ,i ended up smashing mine off the wall got great satisfaction lol

sanchez

Member +
AMEN to that!!!

Then again i didnt know a fraction of what i know now... You have to start somewhere i guess. But i recommend people trying a few things out themselves and if in doubt ask a mate for some help. Could save you a bundle of money.

Ive bought a few stupid parts in my time that havent served a purpose really, i cant really remember though.

Deffo mate, friends are my saviour really lol

gv1.3

Admin
Really good point on labour costs. Many jobs are very easy to tackle on your own. Money would be better spent on good tools that you can use over and over.

metal valves for my wheels off ebay.

When I brought them down to my local garage to get them fitted the lad told me "are you sure you want to put these on... at least twice a week I get people coming in with these where the valve has snapped or the cap has seized on the valve".

I told him to put them on and he did. A year later I couldnt get the caps off and ended up snapping one of them.

x2 seized heh new valve for me

Sigma

Member +
Koni Dampers & Tein Springs.

Together these were £540, brand new and they were so soft it was ridiculous, utter shite.

Coilovers were about the same money and piss ALL OVER them :)

pig666eon

Member +
a fuel cut defender that i never received paid in full, squirreled until it was too late for paypal to act

4 months on still being told every week its been sent out yesterday haha

my advice for noobs dont be so quick to part with cash unless they come recommended!!

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
CHEAP TYRES!!!!!

bought a set of nankangs until i could afford the toyos, and what a mistake that was, car felt like it was on ice

same here only mine cost me a perfect, two month referbished Volk te37

gv1.3

Admin
more so than, the comment quoted below, which hasnt been removed.

petrol is a requirement regardless of the car bro :) If Mr Johnny_C thinks the car in general was a bad purchase then that is fair enough.

If you want to stick to petrol then give us an alternative ;) I tried fitting a flux capacitor and Mr Thrash to my Glanza but couldnt get it working.

Plus you are employed in the oil industry you should be telling people that using petrol is good!

same here only mine cost me a perfect, two month referbished Volk te37

when that wheel died a little part of me did too.... was a real shame.