What is this engine?

sdutton007

Member +
Can anybody identify this engine? I saw the photo a while ago on facebook, but it didn't have any details... I was thinking it looks a bit like the old corolla engines but not sure.

How reliable & tunable are these engines?

Also, does anybody know how much work is involved in shoehorning it into a starlet? It looks like it has enough space, and even the gearbox looks like a standard one, so I'm hoping it's not a ball-ache...

I currently have a stripped down 5E I was going to forge, but this engine might be a better alternative as there would be a lot less turbo lag as well as the potential for more power (assuming its relatively reliable and tunable).

58158836052259069959711.jpg

Last edited:

sdutton007

Member +
4age engine :)

Cheers. Just looked up the 4A-GE engine on wikipedia. Seems to be a 1.6 VVTi producing roughly 160-165 BHP. I'm guessing the power delivery is similar to a 1.6 single-stage twin-cam VTEC (i.e. like a typical 1.6 until 4,500-5,000 RPM then the power kicks in nice and hard) ?

ChrisD

Member +
It's a 4age 20V from an AE111 Levin.

The car is of a guy in UKSO.

It's not difficult to put it in, but needs some custom work on mounts, driveshafts, etc...

sdutton007

Member +
It's a 4age 20V from an AE111 Levin.

The car is of a guy in UKSO.

It's not difficult to put it in, but needs some custom work on mounts, driveshafts, etc...

Thanks. I'm guessing the gearbox sits nearer the passenger side wheel than on a 4E, so the passenger driveshaft would need to be shortened and the driver driveshaft would need to be lengthened?

Would there be much advantage to me using this engine instead of a 5E as there is only 100cc difference?

AdamB

Member +
Contact Morgey over on UKSO, he has one of these in a GT shell, he'll be happy to help answer any questions you got :)

sdutton007

Member +
Contact Morgey over on UKSO, he has one of these in a GT shell, he'll be happy to help answer any questions you got :)

OK thanks, will do.

I've just been looking at the 1.8 7A-GZE engine:
Toyota never made a wide-valve angle "7A-GE" based on the 7A, but many enthusiasts have created one using a combination of 7A-FE parts (block, crank, rods) and 4A-GE parts (head, pistons). Likewise, an unofficial supercharged "7A-GZE" has also been built from 7A-FE parts (block, crank, rods) and 4A-GZE parts (head, pistons).
Does anyone have any experience with these? I think it will fit in the engine bay, but the sump would be very close to the floor?

Also, is there any kind of guide on what needs to be done to ram a 3S-GTE engine in an EP82/91 ?

Last edited:

matty gt

Member +
http://
here you go mate 1.6 blacktop 20 valve found in the ae111 toyota levin the one in this picture was mine and they dont get any better than this yes they are tuneable but not cheap this engine was built for me by techno-pro spirits of japan and the first engine ever to be shipped from them on a pallet to ireland and the cost 7000 pound sterling power 196 bhp 141 flbs of torque
heres a link to the video of the engine running first time after after coming all the way from japan the spec changed a little since the video got rid of the cards for huybusa motorbike throttle bodies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqGxhqnAMo0

heres another possiablity for ya mate this was another car owned ae111 blacktop 20 valve turbo 1.6 this was a full blitz turbo conversion on this car designed to run on the standard internalls at 0.5 bar of boost pulled like a train when she hit 5000 rpm this engines fully forged and all the supporting mods have been run at well over 500bhp could you imagine this shoe horned into a ep82 or ep91 engine bay coud not see very much touching it on the road
http:// hope this helps with your options if ya need any info on what i posted just let me no
heres the link to a 3sgte build thread on here
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/dynami...=-1&direction=asc&entryuserid=79&orderby=name thats surely worth some rep for me ;)

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
OK thanks, will do.

I've just been looking at the 1.8 7A-GZE engine:

Does anyone have any experience with these? I think it will fit in the engine bay, but the sump would be very close to the floor?

Also, is there any kind of guide on what needs to be done to ram a 3S-GTE engine in an EP82/91 ?

A guy on here called Fastfish ran a 7AGTE in a boxy Corolla, made 280 bhp on a small T3 at a bar with shite management. Not hard to build up, GZE pistons in the 7A block, 7A rods and crank, 4AGE wide inlet head and it even ran a GT clutch and GT gearbox with the bell housing changed to suit the 7A block. Torquey motor, nice to drive sensibly as well as giving it some.

jomista2k7

Fresh Recruit
was looking for info myself on how this is in a ep chassis, if you are going ahead with it and find a engine or running gear hard to find email me jglynn89@icloud.com i may have running gear for sale soon or a full car