Why are people Breaking their High Spec'd Starlets ?

I am sure most of you notice that at least once a week a high spec'd Starlet is up in the classifieds for breaking.

Most of them are only after reaching the owners modding targets in terms of power and looks.

Why do people do it?

They spend lots of £'s on it and lots of hours trying to get the Starlet the way they want it and once it is done you will see it up for breaking:confused:

Is it because the high bhp does not satisfy you?

Does it become to expensive to maintain? Higher fule costs?

Is it not daily driveable anymore with such high spec?

Or do peoples brains click into a sensible mode once the modding is finished?

I'm really interested to know why lots are doing this:)

Would like to read replies from anybody that is breaking their car now and why they decide to break it.

I wouldn't believe everybodys excuse is down to the recession.

nutta

Member +
well if you sell a high spec car n you put it up for 5000, alot of people probably wudnt buy it!!!

so if you break the car selling all the parts and returning the car to standard, you will get more than 5000. ud prob get summut like 3500 for parts and 3000 for the car pending on what you got on there...

Kelly

Member +
We broke the K24 GT because, after using a dodgy/crap headgasket wasted alot of money replacing etc only to find it had warped the block. And then there was an electrical failure too which was the last straw.

Was just tired of throwing money at it and not progressing after the HG incident. It was alot of fun, but only got used at weekends and was time to grow up a little. Looked at every angle regards to selling and breaking was the saddest but best finacial decision for us.

wee-jo

Member +
Maybe its an anti-climax for most people. They get their hopes up and build it up and realise its not what they thought it would be??

A

Animal GT

mully believe it or not am in the middle of tinkin about breakin my own car!!! basicaly because heads tortured with it by other people,i achieved my goals with it,dont realy drive it anymore as have another car an its not the nicest car to drive round a busy town anymore its gets driven to blow some1 away thats about it back home an parked up till som1 else wants a go..lol which doesnt come very often. i probly wont but its in my head!! didnt tink i would ever be tinkin about it

Johnny_C

Lifer
its crossed my mind many times,fed up being bounched abt,and id rather break it than see some1 else drive it.

raffabenitez

Fresh Recruit
i think its due to the fact people are modding the car the way they want and do not want anybody else to have all the pride and glory the car shows once its finished???
Maby am wrong???
What's your opinion? :eek:

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
why sell a car for say 7K MAX, when you can break here up and make 8-9 k
and when you have a big power car or any power that you have spent soo much time and money on there no worse thing in seeing someone else driving it:mad::mad:, will burn mine and smash the gearbox rear axle up before i sell mine:haha:

alan_d

Lifer
great, if about to maybe get controversial thread :D

I broke mine because I realised big bhp starlet tuning was a big anticlimax, that in the quest for pub figures the car had become undriveable to the point that I prefered taking my folks car out instead of the GT - It took me a year or so to realise that this was probably my main reason, but having driven some of the well setup GTs that Trevor imported, I realised that response tuning was the future.

I fully understand peoples quest for pub figures, as its pushing the envelope, but in retrospect, I wish id pushed the parcel rather than the jiffy bag, having spent nearly the last 5 years clearing debt from a car I no longer own.
It bemuses me that people will quicker molest/ruin a bone stock car now, rather than pick up the relay from someone else whos spent the money on hard groundwork.
I blew 18k on mine only to get 6k back, yet when I broke the kitten it got me back into a good car. Ill always break from now on - plus why let someone else reap what youve sown!

Johnny_C

Lifer

I broke mine because I realised big bhp starlet tuning was a big anticlimax, that in the quest for pub figures the car had become undriveable to the point that I prefered taking my folks car out instead of the GT - It took me a year or so to realise that this was probably my main reason, but having driven some of the well setup GTs that Trevor imported, I realised that response tuning was the future.

I fully understand peoples quest for pub figures, as its pushing the envelope, but in retrospect, I wish id pushed the parcel rather than the jiffy bag, having spent nearly the last 5 years clearing debt from a car I no longer own.
It bemuses me that people will quicker molest/ruin a bone stock car now, rather than pick up the relay from someone else whos spent the money on hard groundwork.
I blew 18k on mine only to get 6k back, yet when I broke the kitten it got me back into a good car. Ill always break from now on - plus why let someone else reap what youve sown!
well said alan.

whiteglanzav

Member +

couldnt agree more

Johnny_C

Lifer
Haha thats just selfish why not let someone else enjoy it?
beacause it broke my heart,left me in broke every weekend,out to 4 in the morning working at it,and near reduced me to tears at times,why let some1 else drive what i busted my balls and worked so hard for?
fuck that.

D1v

Member +
so are you guys saying even if you got more money selling the car at its high spec you would choose to break it just for the fact you wouldnt want to see anyone driving what you have built? i know thats not how it goes and if you break you get more but this just for talking sakes, i know for a fact if i was thinking about selling up and someone offered me more money than i could get breaking it i would hand them the keys no problem at all :)

madman

Member +
beacause it broke my heart,left me in broke every weekend,out to 4 in the morning working at it,and near reduced me to tears at times,why let some1 else drive what i busted my balls and worked so hard for?
fuck that.

well said johnny :beer:

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I'd find it hard to break the car. Yes I would get more money that way, but at the same time it's a shame to do away with something that so much time, money and effort went into.

Johnny_C

Lifer
so are you guys saying even if you got more money selling the car at its high spec you would choose to break it just for the fact you wouldnt want to see anyone driving what you have built? i know thats not how it goes and if you break you get more but this just for talking sakes, i know for a fact if i was thinking about selling up and someone offered me more money than i could get breaking it i would hand them the keys no problem at all :)
ive never heard of anyone build a car and make money on it,ever.

Aidan-G

Member +
ive taught about it alot..still think about it..for me as alan said,id rather drive my parents car most of the time,i step outside the house and look at the starlet and think "fuck if im driving that,couldnt be arsed"...not in the humor for it

ive spent the last nearly 4 years fucking around with it and to this day it still doesnt go 100% they way id like...at this stage i think im waisting my time,life goes on

and like johnny says staying in at the weekends,for what?getting tortured by the guards for a hobby?