Why are there 2 cam dots on my SOHC 2e-telu??

brodie_84

Fresh Recruit
Ok, so after putting an ep71 back together (I got it in parts) I cant get it to run right. To get the idle down and to make it run, I've had to screw the idle screw in all the way and fully retard the timing and it's still idling around 1000rpm! I set the cam up with the 2e hole on the cam gear pointing to the punch mark dot that is at 12o'clock on the camshaft bearing cap. But there is another dot at approx 10o'clock. Wat is the 2nd dot for??? Could it be that the 2nd dot is for turbo models? And the 1st dot for NA? This seems to make sense because if I turn the cam a few teeth on the belt to that 10o'clock mark, it will let my distributor sit roughly in the middle of it's adjustment range.
At the moment the car starts ok, but as soon as it loads up and boosts it detonates.
The camshaft gear also has a peephole for the 1e motor. I've read a few times how ppl with 5e motors still use the 4e marks to set their cams. Could this be the case here too??
The 1e and 2e peepholes on my cam gear are at 90• to each other.

Texx

Super Moderator
I can't tell you what the other mark on the bearing cap is for, but maybe this will be of some help to you.

2etimingbelt.png

brodie_84

Fresh Recruit
Thanks mate. Any info or drawings is always a big help because there seems to be almost no info out there on the ep71 :)

I currently have the cam set using the 2e mark, aimed at the punch mark that is at 12 o'clock. But, having it set there means that my distributor is fully turned all the way retarded until it hits the stops, just to get the idle down even close to 1000rpm.

So at the moment it is definately wrong, because the distributor should be sitting roughly in the middle of its adjustment range. (just logically thinking)
And to get it to do this means I have to rotate the cam gear a few teeth to the left in the timing belt. Adjusting it this direction is taking it closer to the 10 o'clock punch mark. So from an educated guess it is looking like it wants be set there for the car to run properly.
Hopefully i will get time to give this a test this afternoon. Thanks god for non-interference heads! lol!

finx

Member +
if you have all the marks correct (2e cam gear hole lined up at 12) then the idle issue is something else

if your still worried set your dissy timing with a timing light to 10degrees this will rule out the base timing being the problem.

do you have your coolant temp sensor pluged in? of not the cold start idle up will be continually on