Why does my car drink a lot?

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Hi all,

My GT seems to drink way to much for what shes running. Smells light fuel when boosting and just dosent seem econimical for what power im running.

Spec as follows:-

Freshly built standard engine in May 2011 by TMD
Tuning Developments uprated fuel pump
FSE RRFPR (added brand new with engine) set at 2.3bar
CT9a turbo running max .8 bar, rotated with short IC piping and HKS short route air filter
WEPR mild steel manifold
SPS stainless decat
Japspeed full exhaust
Japspeed IC
Blitz I-D EBC
Standard ECU, no FCD

Thats pretty much the engine mods i think i have.

I put £50 V power in on Saturday and i have done a bit of motorway driving, round town and few blasts here and there. Ive done around 160 miles and im down to a quarter of a tank. WTF.

Why is it fueling too much when i have a standard ECU? Is the only way to sort this by adding a standalone unit i.e. JAM, Blitz etc..?

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Dont understand why it would need mapping. Im running standard ECU and standard boost and standard settings on RRFPR :(

malcolmgt

Member +
Dont understand why it would need mapping. Im running standard ECU and standard boost and standard settings on RRFPR :(

oh thought you had upped the boost mate..
its old remember, over the years things get knackered and things change.. maybe just needs a nice set up. make it run op notch, or just checked for piece of mind...

but also i could be barking up a completely wrong tree!

Gtstu

Member +
have you got a wideband fitted to see what the afr's are? could be a lazy lambda sensor coolant temp sensor or tps needs setting

pig666eon

Member +
a wideband is a very good tool to have dude the aem ones come in cheap and are very good

have you checked the timing? when i got my car first i had very bad fuel consumption the hole thing was completely standard, took a while but it turned out the timing was out it was fine ever since

could also maybe be a faulty lambada sensor? worth a go

Rob H

Member +
why do you need a uprated fuel pump with your spec I think thats a bit over the top for a pretty much standard set up. I would have a look at the spark plugs if they are black you are over fueling. It could be that the cold start is stopping on too that would make it use more fuel too.

dac69er

Super Moderator
that doesnt sound too bad tbh. i get about 250miles to a tank on all my turbo starlets. im impressed you squeezed £50 in that tank ;)

£35 fills my tank how are you doing £50 not having a go just seems odd.
I tend to do 200 miles to a tank with an auto box so your not far off.

Fizturbo

Member +
Am usin Shell V and full tank from low is £40+, last tank i got 130ish miles thinkin thers a hole in tank, but am Boostin 1.4 bar on TD04 forged mapped on EMB ,booked in for rollin road so see how it goes

Texx

Super Moderator
I put £50 V power in on Saturday and i have done a bit of motorway driving, round town and few blasts here and there. Ive done around 160 miles and im down to a quarter of a tank.

That sounds about right to me. A full tank gets me about 230 miles before the light starts coming on, which equates to approx 37MPG.

nazzurro19

Member +
I use vpower and can only get £38-40 so i dont see how i get £50 in

I also do alot of town miles n i get around 210-230 miles

My first quarter tank goes around 30-40 miles next quarter last to around 110-120 then next quarter gets me to around 180 then last quarter gets me around 210-250 depending on driving

AdamB

Member +
I filled up on Sunday with v power cost £41 and I've done 140 miles to quarter tank, done 50 miles motorway and the rest is urban driving, boosting every so often. Running 0.6 bar with hybrid ct9, exhaust, mani, airfilter.

Nickzorz

Member +
I worked mine out the other day. I get 33mpg and seems about right for the driving i do each week.

£25 at 141.9p per litre (tesco's finest) takes me around 130 miles sometimes more

carmen

Member +
Depends on set-up and the condition things are in I paid 46 quid on normal shell fuel the other day on my v with the receipt still in my wallet as fuel is a joke :( and ive done roughly 150 miles to the tank as i get stuck in traffic alot going to and from work with a nackered turbo

Blak_Mamber

Member +
hmmmm, seems like it could be normal. It does smell like fuel a fair bit when boosting fairly hard, but does run ok and ive had no puffs of smoke or anything from the exhaust. I had the fuel pump on there from when i was running a hybrid over a year ago, but that was on my old engine, new engines been running standard good condition ct9 from the start. I may buy a wideband anyway as it seems a wise investment.

When i put the £50 in, i had done 20 miles since the orange fuel light come on, then i filled it to the brim. came to £50.01 at BP using ultimate @ £1.41