You wont believe what Ive gone and done!!

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
A few weeks back I bought a project Starlet GT Turbo so I could do it up.

Only thing was there was no engine in it and it was an Automatic - no problem there as we are aware there are Auto GT's.

After some research my GT is not a GT its a Starlet EP82 GI :(

I should have twigged at first glance as the bonnet didnt have the scoop! it just had the bulge thing that the GI's have.

So my question is - Should I continue with this and carry on with the project or buy a proper GT? is the chassis and everything the same on the GI to GT? Im aware Ill need to cut a few holes etc for putting the car to manual etc but is the structure of the GI same as the GT??

As much info on the GI's would be great guys

:homer:

Mark

CTR_Timmy

Member +
Firstly was the car advertised as a GT or was it advertised as a GI. If it was advertised as a GT when it wasnt then you have the right to ask for your money back if your not happy about it as its false advertising!

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
It didnt say what it was, I just saw it was for sale and I asumed it was a GT as it looked identical to one! It even had all the badges on from a GT and had some pretty rare parts on it that I dont even see on some real GT's anymore?! eg the back bord on the tailgate with GT that lights up etc! I guess ive leart the hard way........mmmmmmthinking about it maybe not as I paid a very very low price for it...

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Yeah thats what I was planning on doing right from when I got it has it was an auto and had no engine! Is everything else the same as a GT?

bucketep91

Member +
what reseach have you done to determine its a GI and not a GT? the majority of glanzas/GTs are registered like that it could just have a gi bonnet on it? but tbh it wouldnt make a difference tbh its the same shell

sx_turbo

Lifer
pretty much everything is the same apart from the wiring.

but seeing as you got a project, go standalone ECU and you wont need to worry about the wiring :)

perreau

Member +
Mine was a manual Gi, and now i am fully GT. Everything fits, the only thing that we could not use was the GT engine mounting for the middle as the GT one has two wings with it and there's nowhere to bolt them on the Gi.

Watsi88

Fresh Recruit
If it has a boost gauge built into the speedo cluster then it's a GT, otherwise its a GI.

Edit: Also GIs have drums on the back brakes, wheras GTs have disks.

Watsi

Last edited:

TheStarletGT

Member +
If you do a full starlet GT conversion, your car will have crap resale value. Its simple as that. Replicas will always be worthless. I wouldnt buy one.