4efte and 4efe heads

krystal_89

Fresh Recruit
Hello, im doing a turbo conversion on my ep82, i have a non turbo head and turbo one are the same, if not wot are the differences?!
Thanks
krystal_89

dac69er

Super Moderator
just do a search. they are pretty much the same. but basically the only difference are the cams and possibly the extra waterway that one may have.

Rob H

Member +
The N/A valve springs are a lot weaker than the turbo ones and they are longer so would bind up and you would get valve float. There is no water way drillings in the block face of the head on some models but there not relay needed most head gaskets are not even open for them. So stick a set of turbo valve springs in and away ya go!

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
i was under the impression the 4efte head had narrower water ways, so the head could be ported more, compared to a non turbo head.

Rob H

Member +
the castings are Identical its just the final machining thats different like for the water ways other than that there the same for them to make the water ways a different size it would mean a different mould for the casting and that would not make any sense for toyota! when they can use the same one for all the engines I dont have a spare efe head off an engine now to put comparison picks up but I checked every thing while I was building my engine as I have used the efe head.

sx_turbo

Lifer
heads are identical, just the valve springs and cams are different.

on later engines with ignition coil packs on the side of the block the heads castings are different

Texx

Super Moderator
The 4E-FE from the pre 1995 EE101 Corolla has the same cylinder head and valve springs as the 4E-FTE.

dac69er

Super Moderator
heads are identical, just the valve springs and cams are different.

on later engines with ignition coil packs on the side of the block the heads castings are different

you sure? my ep85 head had the coilpack/dizi setup and im sure it wasnt any different to the ep82 head? i didnt look that closely to be honest, but didnt notice any obvious differences

Texx

Super Moderator
you sure? my ep85 head had the coilpack/dizi setup and im sure it wasnt any different to the ep82 head? i didnt look that closely to be honest, but didnt notice any obvious differences

The DIS cylinder head is different, it has a camshaft position sensor located where you would normally find the distributor.

dac69er

Super Moderator
sorry, got the wrong end of the stick. was thinking he meant the all in one dizi and coilpack setup. didnt realise he meant the separate coilpack setup, my bad!

weeJohn

Lifer
A lot of pre 95 4EFE heads, springs and cams are the same as the 4EFTE on a GT, the Glanza and EP91 n/a stuff doesnt match but.