4efte problem (video inside)

ahmedsalem89

Member +
4efte problem (video inside) update

hi guys
I finished swapping a 4efte into my ee100 corolla about 2500 km ago and everything was running fine although I ran no exhaust, nothing but the first cat just after the turbo, and a couple of weeks ago this problem started, it feels like i'm loosing spark and the check engine light comes on for a second, also the engine sometimes shuts of and I have to start it again
Video:[video=youtube;sM3c6krIU20]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM3c6krIU20&feature=youtu.be[/video]

more details:
a week before this issue happened I decided to remove the cat and go 2" all the way I know it's not big enough but it was just temporary, I made a custom 2" downpipe and fit the sensors back in place.
when this problem occurred I thought that the downpipe might be the problem so I replaced it with the original cat and no exhaust again but the problem was still there.

any help or Ideas would be greatly appreciated,
Thanx

Update: I'm starting to suspect the lambda sensor, Any one knows how does it feel like to drive with a faulty one?

Last edited:

russyb

Member +
you might need to port your wastegate if its boost creep, wont know for sure unless you get a boost gauge

russyb

Member +
exactly :) means its creeping past desired boost pressure
cant stress enough how useful having a boost gauge is mate

Last edited:

russyb

Member +
if peak boost or its spiking or creeping above 0.8Bar then your hitting fuel cut, it could also be your spring in your oem actuator as the stock ones are crap get a hks ajustable actuator

Last edited:

ahmedsalem89

Member +
thanx for the helpful info but in the video this issue happens around 3k rpm ist's boost creep supposed to happen in high rpm? is it reaching full boost that early?
also I forgot to mention that I'm running stock TMIC and no hood scoop still waiting for the piping for a my FMIC

ahmedsalem89

Member +
I know no one running a turbo lol :D I'll try to buy one is there another way to check without a boost gauge? hold the waste gate open maybe? :D
also would a loose or cut wire do that?

wildchild

Member +
did you wire in the complete engine harness and MAP sensor, distributor and ECU? try changing the ignitor chip. check your spark plugs and plug wires. maybe thats the reason your RPM needle fluctuates from the beginning even before it reaches high boost or high rpm. check your wiring for loose or faulty connections.
by the way why is your temp gauge up so high? are you sure you dont have any heating issues?

ahmedsalem89

Member +
did you wire in the complete engine harness and MAP sensor, distributor and ECU? try changing the ignitor chip. check your spark plugs and plug wires. maybe thats the reason your RPM needle fluctuates from the beginning even before it reaches high boost or high rpm. check your wiring for loose or faulty connections.
by the way why is your temp gauge up so high? are you sure you dont have any heating issues?

thanks a lot for your reply

yes I wired the whole thing spark plugs are new and I checked the wires today found one of the four plus the fifth which comes from the coil pack slightly loosing spark when something metal passes near them also when I was checking the harness I got electrically shocked in the area near the o2 sensors plugs so I tried Isolating them from anything metal, took the car for a ride and it drove well not sure if the problem is fixed tho

but shouldn't the plugs work fine even if they have small cuts as long as the cut isn't near anything metal?

and the temp gauge it doesn't appear in the video it's in the far left u can see part of it in 2:24 the gauges that are appearing on the left side in the video are the battery (top) and fuel (bottom)

wildchild

Member +
oh yes just noticed that its the battery voltage gauge.
if the plug wires are damaged then you are losing spark. the charge will be weaker at the plugs. plus it might be getting earthed off at the top mount as well. could be any place like the rocker cover, battery clamp, bonnet, radiator fan etc.
Also make sure that the number on the MAP sensor matches the number on the ECU.

ahmedsalem89

Member +
I can tell that it now drives fine and the problem only happens once a day
I'm now searching for a set of spark plug wires didn't know that they are that hard to find for 4efte
then if it happens again I'll take a closer look at the o2 and water temp sensor plugs
and I'm not sure about the map sensor thing but as the whole thing came together I assume they match

ahmedsalem89

Member +
I grabbed a used set from a friend but I checked them for any damage or loose spark and they are fine
but the problem is still there I'll today check the o2, lambda, and water sensor plugs and try to Isolate them