5e.... What can they take?

Bazza

Member +
Right hopefully at end of march I'm buying a Glanza with a 5e engine. It's currently running standard ct9 running just over 1 bar.

I just curious on what sort of boost and power these 5e engines can take? I'm thinking of going maybe td04/5 in future once I've had it a bit that's is :)

Thanks in advance

AdamB

Member +
Will easily take a td04/05, aslong as its forged.
If you mean on standard 5e rods, i wouldn't chance anything over 1 bar. I'm sure theres a pic floating about somewhere of the thickness of the rods, and they are pretty thin, so it wouldn't take much in bending them.

Bazza

Member +
Not forged bud just standard 5e well I think. It was 5e from jap land and lad has never opened her up to have look. Doubt it would be forged tho.

So are the 5e's weaker than 4e? Was hoping to run about 1.2/3 bar on td04/5

billybob

Untrusted Seller
If there the 5 fhe rods it will be no problem running 270 bhp providing its run low comp pistons steel headset do a compression test that will give you an idea weather it was forged or had work done post up results

AdamB

Member +
Doubt it would be forged then mate.
I wouldn't run that sort of boost without forged, its too big of a risk, unless it is mapped spot on and always run on 99RON.

Boost isn't the determining factor on what the rods can take, from my own limited knowledge its bhp that breaks rods. It depends on whether you have a 5efe or a 5efhe. The fhe rods are much thicker than the fe and from what I have read on here, the fhe can take around 250bhp-280bhp but a good search on here or somebody more in the know might be able to confirm this.

Bazza

Member +
Not buying till end of march billybob. Also haven't ever had to do compression test so wouldn't know where to start :( unless closer to the time a local member could help a fellow member out I haven't got a clue.

Billybob what sort of boost can a standard 5e take?

Bazza

Member +
@ Adam it's running a jam ecu and pulls like hell on the standard ct9. It's running 1.2 now on the ct9 running 210bhp but not sure if the lad has dyno proof but was done at zen motorsport.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
Not buying till end of march billybob. Also haven't ever had to do compression test so wouldn't know where to start :( unless closer to the time a local member could help a fellow member out I haven't got a clue.

Billybob what sort of boost can a standard 5e take?
standerd 5e withe the compression so high mybe .7 bar on a standerd engine otherwise you would just fry the pistons ,,,really depends on the set up of the car fuel your running ,beening compeltely standerd engine .etc...

Bazza

Member +
standerd 5e withe the compression so high mybe .7 bar on a standerd engine otherwise you would just fry the pistons ,,,really depends on the set up of the car fuel your running ,beening compeltely standerd engine .etc...

Wow I'm sure it's running 1.2 at the min so maybe it's a 5efhe then.

Whether a 5efhe or a 5efe it would need to have low compression pistons to take that boost. In my previous post I was under the assumption you were asking what about a 5e (either fhe or fe) could take when it was prepared for boost applications. Running a standard N/A engine on boost that high would destroy it.

So if you are thinking of building a 5e for boost and you do not wish to forge it, I would recommend that you use the 5efhe engine as the connecting rods are stronger and you must at the very least change the pistons to 4efte pistons (forged would be better).

Bazza

Member +
^^ to above post. I know forged would be 100% better but I've just sold my forged 4e to get funds together to buy this glanza. It's been running 5e since japan so it's held boost quite well considering it's been in uk since 2008 without any engine issues. I'm bit worried now I dont want to buy it and engine gives way when I td04/5 it that's last thing I want. Suppose it's on me though how much boost and bhp I want to run through the engine.

AdamB

Member +
@ Adam it's running a jam ecu and pulls like hell on the standard ct9. It's running 1.2 now on the ct9 running 210bhp but not sure if the lad has dyno proof but was done at zen motorsport.

I knew one of the 5e engines had the thicker rods but wasn't sure which one. Obviously when converting to 5e the 4e pistons need to be used because they are low compression. As said without knowing the details of the engine it may be risky. Running the jam ecu and having good fueling will help, but seeing as it only as the ct9 its probably safe as the ct9 produces hot air above 1 bar so is very inefficient. As soon as you put a td04/05 on there it may start to cause problems, depending on the details of the engine.

Texx

Super Moderator
it's running a jam ecu and pulls like hell on the standard ct9. It's running 1.2 now on the ct9 running 210bhp

I'm quite surprised the engine is still firing on all 4 cylinders.

Running the jam ecu and having good fueling will help

I wouldn't describe using a Jam ECU with a forced 5E as having good fueling. The Jam ECU is programmed to run a near stock 4E, for it to supply a 5E with the correct amount of fuel and ignite it at the required time you'd need to be feeling more on the lucky side of things.

but seeing as it only as the ct9 its probably safe as the ct9 produces hot air above 1 bar so is very inefficient.

That is where my concerns would begin. A CT9 struggles to supply a 4E with 1bar at a decent temperature, so it's going to be working even harder and getting even hotter when trying to supply a 5E with the same boost pressure.

Bazza

Member +
The lad I'm buying from has had it along time never had any issues with engine turbo nothing. Went out in it the other day pulls like a train. Drives like a dream it just doesn't add up?? Everyone has said same engine should be dead really but it's not and it's running strong lol.

I'm lost I really don't know what to do! Is 210bhp around right figure for ct9 at 1.2 bar on a 5e?

GI BOY

Member +
i have a 5efhe turbo.. everything standard pistions and rods everything built with all genuine toyota parts.. only thing is after market is a steel head gasket and turbo kit hoping to get 280bhp if it blows ill have another forged engine going in but untill it blows ill keep pushin it... but iv been reading on other forums that the 5efhe internals can take as mush as 360WHP thats more than enough out of a standard engine (no need to go forged) so i just want to see how far they can actualy go its like my own project.. but 280bhp is an easy number for them a friend of mine had 1 running i.2 bar on a tdo5 turbo never on the rollers but it was a high compression engine so they are more than capable of 280bhp id say anyway..