A question for the irish lads.

Foggy

Member +
This might be pointless thread i dunno? I was thinking the other day i spent 12 years learning the irish language till i left school. Me and two other work mates were trying to make up a sentence the other day and it ended in a epic fail! Four years later i cant speak 5 words of it. How many irish members on here can still speak it? Where ye any good at it or did ye feel like you were been forced to learn it and never like it?

clarkytrd

Member +
ahh man 12 years?? i only came good at it in 5th and 6th year, now i love it.

always ringing up the lads having conversations in irish haha

id rather speak irish than english!!

Foggy

Member +
Learning it since 5 till about 17. Id love to be able to speak it but im useless at it always was. Think it slowly dying out. I was on one of the arren islands lately i was amazed on how well they spoke it. english was there second language i thought it was great.

clarkytrd

Member +
sure thats all they speak, its an irish speaking kip haha!!

if i asked ya a question in irish could u not answer it?

corofin12345

Member +
haha.. im with ya on this one anyway.. i replyed 2 a post earlier with a bit of irish and had 2 ask the misses was it right.. lived up the country when i was younger and the irish was way different when i moved down here.. confused the life out of me..

turbojim

Lifer
lads i know the feeling but i was never good at it never eally cared being honest

but now that ye are saying it i wouldn mind knowing it:haha:

ta mo cock an mhor hahahaha:haha: that was a favourite in school:haha::haha:

I like the language and id love to be able to speak it but my irish is at a primary school level. I think they teach it wrong in schools. If they thought it as a foreign language, which it is to 95% of the population, then I think a lot more people would be able to speak it. I mean come on like, poetry in Irish!!!! I dont know about you guys but I could hardly tell you what a poet was trying to say in an english poem never mind in a language that I can hardly speak :haha::haha:. There are more Irish people who can speak German and French than there are Irish people who can speak Irish and i find that very sad