ACT extreme - clutch issue? im back in the beast :D

goldenvtr

Member +
back in my GT now and firstly 5e 1bar on vf28 OMG its poo pants fast and its going to be running 1.5/6 bar soon lol. only thing is i have kinda a big issue :

now running an act extreme plate and hevy duty cover but i can seem to get it to dissenguage properly, the only way for it to work is if i pump the pedle a few times then the biteing point will be there but very very low down the pedel- almost on the floor. once its been pumped it stays fine from 10-30secs then it goes floppy again like there is no clutch fluid, so im kinda just driving round in 3rd gear to avoid pumping the pedle and looking like a tw@ lol

ive dried bleeding the clutch few times but still no luck, ive adjusted the pedel bolt so there is less travel (to try and keep some pressure in there) but this only help minorly.

is there something im missing or what? its very frustrating and i want to start enjoying some serious power again!

any input appriciated - maybe a new slave cylnder but nothing seems to be leaking in teh clutch lines

also to note i have a braided clutch hose and nothing has changed apart form the actual clutch

smythy75

Member +
i had this problem too, i hadnt the braided line tight at one connection and was lettin the slightest amount of pressure of to let the clutch not engage! once tightened, no problem!

goldenvtr

Member +
cool, well ill try it again, any idea what kinda perssure it gets under? ill check it all over again but im thinking its at the slave end if its not an airlock. also if i kinda hold the pedle a little it keeps SOME pressure in there but not enough to dissenguage.

goldenvtr

Member +
cheers pete. ill bleed it out again tomo and try that before changing slave , just want it sorted because the power is emmence lol

and i ment was his air lock causeing the same syptems i have?

Ted

Member +
clutch pedal staying for a few seconds then letting go points to master cylinder.

smythy75

Member +
i thought it was my master to ted cause thats what it done but ended up bein a leak but lets hope dans is just a leak too...

P.S Tanz is a girl

Tanz

Lifer
Hey im a her not a his and yes pet the exact same...also had same prob in my other car but that was a very tiny leak...

goldenvtr

Member +
Hey im a her not a his and yes pet the exact same...also had same prob in my other car but that was a very tiny leak...

lol sorry mate :p

and Ted in what way does the master cynlder go? maybe this clutch is too heavy duty and it cant cope?

its rated at 352 ibft

just thinking - would one of those Bmcs helps?

Last edited:

Aidan-G

Member +
oh look whos back from the hairdressers:)haha

does sound like the master cylinder alright,but id go with what pete said first

goldenvtr

Member +
lol the eunos is in storage now, and its got a turbo on it so nt so gay haha:p

will update tomo hopefully its just airlock but if not what uprated main cylnders can be used??

weakboy2

Member +
Hi Dan,

Deffo sounds like master, will probs just be because of old age and where its been stood for a while. You wont need an uprated one, just buy a new one from toyota and it will be super :)

D3N0

Member +
back in my GT now and firstly 5e 1bar on vf28 OMG its poo pants fast and its going to be running 1.5/6 bar soon lol. only thing is i have kinda a big issue :

now running an act extreme plate and hevy duty cover but i can seem to get it to dissenguage properly, the only way for it to work is if i pump the pedle a few times then the biteing point will be there but very very low down the pedel- almost on the floor. once its been pumped it stays fine from 10-30secs then it goes floppy again like there is no clutch fluid, so im kinda just driving round in 3rd gear to avoid pumping the pedle and looking like a tw@ lol

ive dried bleeding the clutch few times but still no luck, ive adjusted the pedel bolt so there is less travel (to try and keep some pressure in there) but this only help minorly.

is there something im missing or what? its very frustrating and i want to start enjoying some serious power again!

any input appriciated - maybe a new slave cylnder but nothing seems to be leaking in teh clutch lines

also to note i have a braided clutch hose and nothing has changed apart form the actual clutch

Mate i had the same problem 2days ago with my glanza with this Act Extreme clutch, and is one of the problem i came across when doin my 5e conversion. i am planing to do a write-up on this, but at the moment i dont have the time. however, ill PM you my number and i can fully explain to u the problem and how to go about it.... Its the slave cylinder pin basically, its too short and doesnt allow the pressure plate to be pushed in. ypu need to do some modification to the thrust bearing arm and mock up a new longer pin from a long think nail or screw.... PM sent.

finx

Member +
if the engaging point was always on the floor i would suggest its a problem with the slave stroke/ pin length.

but in his 1st post it says when he pumps the pedal up the engaging point also comes up for a short amount of time. this is due to air in the hydrolic system.

to prove this do the following
make sure your clutch resivour is full
pump the pedal 5-10 times and have someone watching the level.
if the fluid level drops and then comes back up, then there is air in the system. (i can explain why but thats not important, all this is trying to do is prove the fault).

now to get all the air out you are going to have to pressure bleed the system.
this can be achieved using an old bicycle pump.

instructions:

cut the tire valve off the rubber air tub at the bottom of the pump leaving as much of the tube there as possible as it makes it easier.

unscrew and remove the plunger from the pump tube.

putting your finger over the end of the rubber tube you have cut off, fill the tube most of the way up with brake/clutch fluid. then replace the plunger being cairfull not to catch the seal when inserting it. and screw the top back on.

then using someone else, (probably the same friend you got to pump the pedal while you were watching the resivour) crack the nipple on the slave cylinder.

remove the cap off the clutch resivour

now slowly push the bicycle pump down forcing the brake fluid down the hydrolic lines and back up into the resivour.

this will remove all air from the system

you can also bring the pedal height up s bit by adjusting it under the dash.