after-market coolant temp sensor: best tapping location

dark_knight

Member +
ahoy, wondering where is best to tap the coolant temp readings from using an aftermarket sensor/sender. the top rad hose or the bottom rad hose..? i know the OEM temp sensor picks it readings from the block. i have little room towards the top rad hose so was thinking of tapping from the bottom hose but wondering if this will affect readings..

Texx

Super Moderator
The ideal location would be in the thermostat housing (engine side of the thermostat). The second best location would be in the top radiator hose that runs from the thermostat outlet to the radiator, however having the sender in the top hose will lead to inaccurate temperature readings when the thermostat is closed. The bottom radiator hose is no good for measuring coolant temperature.

weeJohn

Lifer
If you have the air con removed there should be a sensor on the thermo housing you dont use and could by an adaptor to fit it on there.

dark_knight

Member +
i think i'll just go with the option of the top rad hose as it may be a tad difficult finding a re-threaded bolt for a defi gauge sender that will go somewhere into the thermo housing.. more homework awaits though.. :) thanks folks..