Altenator/Battery? help!!!

GT_Chris

Member +
Right ive just recently fitted a new engine into my Glanza......and ever since ive been having problems with the car keeping its electrical power

I mean i drive along and after a while all the headlights/dashlights dim right out, windows go up and down slow, and when the light dim right down the car begins to misfire. i turnt it off and then the battery is too flat to start it up again.

I thought it might be my Battery, so i went and brought a new battery and fitted it, and its doing the same again tonight.....could it be the altenator? but i have no battery light on......also when the power nearly goes my ABS light comes on?

I did notice the plastic plug on the altenator has a same chip?

GT_Chris

Member +
Is it hard to change over the altenator? i got one from my old engine here....so its ready to be fitted.....its just the case of geting to the altenator itself :(

GT_Chris

Member +
Well i guess im not too bad with tools.....but im guessing it a job that you gonna do while lead under the car.....which i hate lol

Cheers for the link mate

GT_Chris

Member +
Ill have a look tommorrow.....but if not ill have to have a go from underneath....just want it running right for once lol

corofin12345

Member +
Right ive just recently fitted a new engine into my Glanza......and ever since ive been having problems with the car keeping its electrical power

I mean i drive along and after a while all the headlights/dashlights dim right out, windows go up and down slow, and when the light dim right down the car begins to misfire. i turnt it off and then the battery is too flat to start it up again.

I thought it might be my Battery, so i went and brought a new battery and fitted it, and its doing the same again tonight.....could it be the altenator? but i have no battery light on......also when the power nearly goes my ABS light comes on?

I did notice the plastic plug on the altenator has a same chip?

do a voltage check mate.. car running and and lights on then connect a volt meter 2 the battery.. anything above 11 volt is ok. below and its ur altenator

GT_Chris

Member +
do a voltage check mate.. car running and and lights on then connect a volt meter 2 the battery.. anything above 11 volt is ok. below and its ur altenator

Forgot to say i did do i volt check on the battery which is brand new.....the battery was dead tho but it was getin charged from my mates car.....after 10mins of charge battery was reading 9-11 volts with engine running

corofin12345

Member +
Forgot to say i did do i volt check on the battery which is brand new.....the battery was dead tho but it was getin charged from my mates car.....after 10mins of charge battery was reading 9-11 volts with engine running

defo altenator so.. prob not but ave u all earths back on the car

GT_Chris

Member +
Yeh im gonna try that mate then ill now whats wat then

only thing is i cant get the darn cover off the battery (that covers up the holes for the acid).....cause im sure it cant charge a battery with them covered.

corofin12345

Member +
Yeh im gonna try that mate then ill now whats wat then

only thing is i cant get the darn cover off the battery (that covers up the holes for the acid).....cause im sure it cant charge a battery with them covered.

not at all no.. charge it away.. it will b grand.. as u said its a new battery so the cells and levels should b ok.. try it out 2moro sur and post back here.. best of luck..
evilsmilechristmas.jpg

Texx

Super Moderator

It's probably a sealed maintenance free battery, the caps don't come off.

Check to make sure the alternator charging wire is getting a good connection at the battery positive terminal. It's probably worth pulling the plug off the alternator and checking for battery voltage there too.

With the battery connected and engine at about 2000rpm you should be measuring approx 14v across the battery terminals. If not then it's likely the regulator on the back of the alternator has a fault.

GT_Chris

Member +
Yeh ill have ago at it 2moz.....ill just put the battery on charge in a sec....i think its a sealed unit anyway so i wont bother tryna take the cover off.

then tommorrow ill check all the voltage again.

corofin12345

Member +
It's probably a sealed maintenance free battery, the caps don't come off.

Check to make sure the alternator charging wire is getting a good connection at the battery positive terminal. It's probably worth pulling the plug off the alternator and checking for battery voltage there too.

With the battery connected and engine at about 2000rpm you should be measuring approx 14v across the battery terminals. If not then it's likely the regulator on the back of the alternator has a fault.

i knew that.. lol. i had a similer problem with a civic and it turned out 2 b the terminals were gunked up"as u said".. its always small things that get by u..

GT_Chris

Member +
Car wont start!

Right as we no my Altenator isnt working or has some sort of conntection problem.

Anyway i charged up my battery and drove it a 5min drive to my mates house to get the problem sorted.....as i got near my mates house the car just died completley.......i cant see it being the battery cause when he tryed to jump start it......none of the dash lights lite up when i put the ignition on.....or the windows didnt not work, alarm, central locking.

But yet the headlights, hazzards work fine

anyone no what these problem could be?