Anyone had a hernia operation?

Somhairle

Lifer
I'm due to go in for one today. Paraumbilical hernia apparently that popped right out about an inch above my bellybutton while I was climbing a tower.....

apparently they are removing my belly button too and leaving me with a scar?

Anyone else had one? Not liking the recovery period, its pretty much fucked up my overseas adventures!

Som.

SiCaln

Member +
i had one inguinal, need another one for the other side now mate

painful for a few days, get on your feet asap or it gets worse, take it slow though and don't over-do anything. I have a rather fetching 4inch scar now and loss of feeling in the area too.

all the best

Si

simonjp

Member +
i see tons of them and they aint that bad. just rest after the op. dont be a hero and ask for your painkillers cos it will help post operative healing. the more you control the pain the faster the recovery.

ther than that you will be fine. just enjoy the anaesthetic!!!!!!

Somhairle

Lifer
i see tons of them and they aint that bad. just rest after the op. dont be a hero and ask for your painkillers cos it will help post operative healing. the more you control the pain the faster the recovery.

ther than that you will be fine. just enjoy the anaesthetic!!!!!!

I'm trying to think that way man! Just get it over and done with etc, but its the way they say "we need to remove your bellybutton" that gets me....

ive got enough scars round that area!!!!

:( - stupid body!

Dan3SGTE

Member +
yeah ive had one. near me nuts! Its not that bad. I had bruised bollox for a while though lol! No sex for a week or 2 :(

thefalls

Member +
Its not that bad,need to be careful for a few days about moving around after the operation.
I have assisted a few surgeries of this type,belly button can be kept.
Its up to the surgeon.

Guye

Lifer
I once drove a friend home who had a similar operation. The pain he was in...it was like he was giving birth whenever I tried to turn the steering wheel. I wish you all the best bro but I honestly wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

SupaStu

Member +
My bros baby just had this done, time to toughen up lad lol. only joking.

The 3 days in hospital is probably down to:

Day 1 - to get booked into your bed
Day 2 - operation and recovery
Day 3 - wake up, check with Doctor, then go home

I was in hospital just to get my nose fixed and was in for 3 days, with the above process.

Good luck dude :)

Aj1981

Fresh Recruit
I had one go the day after boxing day last year, 2 days in hosp then 6 weeks signed off work.This photo was taken just after the op.
DSC01049.jpg

SupaStu

Member +
I had one go the day after boxing day last year, 2 days in hosp then 6 weeks signed off work.This photo was taken just after the op.
DSC01049.jpg

Holy shit! And to think you believed you went in for a routine hernia op, you really didn't remember that face hugger the night before did you?

Aj1981

Fresh Recruit
Holy shit! And to think you believed you went in for a routine hernia op, you really didn't remember that face hugger the night before did you?

Is that when you wake up after a night out and would rather chew your arm off then wake up the bird you went home with?

In the photo you can just about make out whats left of my belly button.
Dont look much better 6 months on.

thefalls

Member +
Inguinal and umbilical hernia repair is not a major surgery but its the post op thats more important,as said above you would be better of without lifting any heavy weights for a while [ few weeks].

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
I had one when I was a youngster, got a very fine scar, hardly noticable. Very very common op mate, nothing to worry about, just take it easy recovering, otherwise it will go again and you'll be back to square 1!

durmz

Member +
nothing to do with hernias but i injured my knee a couple months ago and have been in pain and shit since, found out on tuesday ive fractured the top of my tibia and ruptured my cruciat ligament, shitting it to be honest, by the sounds of things its gonna give me arthritus and all sorts of shit in my left knee when im older, proper gutted

Matt Glanza

Member +
A mate if mine had the same op when he was younger.Just been told I've gotta have an op on my lower back to remove an ingrown hair 7weeks off work and I don't get sick pay not good.good luck with the op mate and a speedy recovery