bloody nora - still getting mayo in my catch can

stedee

Member +
right where do i start

i was blowing white smoke occasionally mainly after a run when after the car was on the turbo timer it would start to chuck out white smoke - not that much but enough to know its not right also my catch can was full of water so i thought i would change the hg b4 it overheats cos it had never overheated. anyway after that chore of changing the hg there is still mayo going in my catch can and in the pipes to it, i`m thinking the only thing it can be is a a cracked head??? any ideas, is there anywhere else where the oil and water can mix????? and i am losing water by the looks of it.

tbh i`m not in a mood to do it again so i am going to drive it till it goes bang - see how long it lasts

btw i had the head skimmed and i checked the block for straightness.

danturbo4311

Member +
did you change the inlet manifold gasket as theres a water way there which goes to from the head to the mani if you haven't changed it water can get into your engine there only other way is if you have vacuum pipes & water pipes on wrong way round but you would of known as soon as you started it up.

danturbo4311

Member +
I doubt it is a crack in the head or block although possible i dont think so, start with simple stuff which don't cost anything, first thing to do is triple check your vacuum & water lines on the back of the intake mani, if there correct and its doing still doing it, remove the intake mani and if theres water going down into the intake valves its that intake manifold gasket.

Rory

Lifer
Was the head warped?
Was the Block warped?

If any of the 2 above are not flat, then the new H/G will be knackered.

How does the car idle? If the water and vacume lines were on the wrong way at the throttle body, then the car wont idle very well.

stedee

Member +
right
1st off i bought the hg kit with all the gaskets and i changed the inlet one, i even di the valve seals
i checked the block and head for flatness and they were ok, only about a thou out, i skimmed the head anyway but when it came back i did notice some maybe hairline cracks now these things were tiny, you could only see them when you turned the head at certain angles to the light, i waasnt sure whether they were cracks or just imperfections in the metal now i have a horrible feeling they are cracks.

3rd - i unbolted the mani insitu and left it where it was so i didnt disconnect much off it so i havent mixed any pipes up cos they were still on it

yep screwed arent i

ps on another note my idle is totally fcuked and my alternator as just packed up, the very very nice man gave me a trickle charger to get me home.

thanx for the input guys

stedee

Member +
did you change the inlet manifold gasket as theres a water way there which goes to from the head to the mani if you haven't changed it water can get into your engine there only other way is if you have vacuum pipes & water pipes on wrong way round but you would of known as soon as you started it up.

i will bear that in mind - i will try tightening the bolts a bit more, awkward to get to the bottom ones so i might not have done them enough

Jay

Admin
Have you investigated the turbo?

Regular death of a CT9 involves the coolant chamber leaking into the exhaust due to a fractured exhaust housing. Might be worth checking.

Chris@CCM

Member +
what way have u got ur catch can ? any gack under the oil cap sure sounds like a head gasket mate.
@jay theres no coolant going in to the exhaust housing its all in the core . u get the exhaust ok buddy ?

stedee

Member +
ive got two catch cans, one from the breather on the rocker and one off the pcv, they are both gunky

stedee

Member +
the oil cap does seem ok but i thought the water/steam is being vented off to the catch cans so it doesnt get chance to form on the cap.

Rory

Lifer
Empty the cans, and see how it goes.

Im dubios that there is nothing on the underside of the cap, yet stuff in the cans.

The gunk will form on the cap, regardless of the cans in place.