Boost creep Intake Restrictor = 15 BHP!

benGT

Member +
Well I had my car RR'd yesterday and the SAFC setup at Rising Sun Performance in Ropley.
At first it seemed as if we werent going to reach the target of 150 BHP atf as it was only maxing 142 BHP @ 0.9bar - not good!

Then I remembered that I had installed a Riko-special Intake restrictor a few weeks ago to combat my boost creep I was experiencing. (Basically the end of a coke can with a lot of holes in it in the intake pipe).

Once this was removed, she made 155.9 BHP atf with no boost creep.
So, I'm guessing it was only creeping due to the lower boost levels (0.7bar) - now that the boost is set higher it's holding fine.

Just thought i'd give anybody planning a boost creep fix a heads up!

Richard (the tuner) had a laugh at my mod and did me a printout showing the different results:

safc-RestrictorComparison-POWER.jpg

Pumba_GT

Member +
Am I right that the torque curve is actually higher than the BHP curve from the pic? That's plenty of torque to play with at 3600rpm of 170 n/mm2.

riko666

Member +
whoa, my idea worked :cool: You would uncork a lot of power...take the WRC Rally cars for example, they have intake restrictors to limit their power output to around 330bhp...without the restrictors they are rated at about 700bhp or so...

GTti

Member +
A CT9 won't have problems with creep above 1bar mainly because it's shit :D

P.S. Those torque figures are why Toyota fit a CT9 in the first place. Driveability, small turbos are far better for the road and response.

sx_turbo

Lifer
Am I right that the torque curve is actually higher than the BHP curve from the pic? That's plenty of torque to play with at 3600rpm of 170 n/mm2.

i cant use the torque on mine as it hit fuel cut at 3500rpm, and the tuner dont want to know, i have to keep mine above 3500rpm when booting it.

it was tuned by a tuner and i have talked to him about it, and he basically dont care so i gonna get a load of new bits and get a new ecu then get it retuned.

benGT

Member +
man that sucks! the torque really is good on mine now and I love having that little turbo kick!

MJA

Member +
what are you running to get 0.9 bar Ben?

i know you've got the Blitz boost controller but are you using a walbro fuel pump etc etc? i'd like to run my boost a bit higher once i've got the neccesary bits

benGT

Member +
I havnt got a fuel pump installed yet mate. I was hoping to but it hasnt arrived.....should do sometime this week. Although i'm now worried that if I out it in is it going to affect the fuelling that was setup on the SAFC?!!

king_stu

Member +
ben, the pump shouldn't effect the SAFC settings. If the fuel presure is set for 3 bar then it will stay at 3 bar.

MJA

Member +
I havnt got a fuel pump installed yet mate. I was hoping to but it hasnt arrived.....should do sometime this week. Although i'm now worried that if I out it in is it going to affect the fuelling that was setup on the SAFC?!!

what is an SAFC? i take it you have a fuel cut defencer as well?

to run anything above 0.65/0.7 bar with my current set-up am i right in saying i will need a boost controller of some sort, an SAFC, fuel cut defencer and fuel pump?

benGT

Member +
SAFC is a piggy-back fuel contoller by Apexi. There are a couple of versions available - it basically can be used to either lean out or richen up the fuel mixture at different RPM points.
I have an FCD wired in aswell as the SAFC and boost controller.....

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
What are your mods Ben good going :)

Were beginning to tune our run around :homer:, will retain CT9 and see what we can get of the stock blower, managed 149@wheels on SR Turbo so will be nice to compare :)

T