Brake pad/disc issues

sk8chris

Fresh Recruit
Hi guys

Been having an issue with my brakes and would really appreciate some thoughts on what the problem might be.

I just changed my front discs and pads at weekend due to an unbearable metalic squeeking and a grinding noise from both wheels but mainly the passenger side brake when not actually braking. The front passenger disc had a groove about 5mm deep running round the entire back of the disc like it had been scored with a screwdriver and the pad had the surface to match.

Now after doing no more than 20 miles on the new brakes I can feel a grove starting again on the back of the passenger side disc and have no idea whats causing it.

Only issue I came across changing the disc was a damaged pad clip which had a very worn, shiny about to snap edge as though it had been rubbing on something, but I cant see how that could be touching the disc.

its the clip numbered 47771 in the picture in this link

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m19b0s130..._-_Toyota_Starlet_EP82_and_EP91_up_to_11_1996

Sorry about the essay but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

weeJohn

Lifer
Take the wheel off, put the nuts back on to hold the disc in place, then you can turn the hub and have a look to see if there is anything rubbing.

Smokey

Fresh Recruit
47771 is your pad wear indicator so it should eventually touch the disc when the pads are near worn out!

Where on the inside of the disc is the track bein worn? Outer edge or inner or middle or have you a pic of it? If its the wear indicator in the wrong way it could cause something like your problem!

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
47771 is your pad wear indicator so it should eventually touch the disc when the pads are near worn out!

Where on the inside of the disc is the track being worn? Outer edge or inner or middle or have you a pic of it? If its the wear indicator in the wrong way it could cause something like your problem!

that is not a pad wear indicator, just an anti rattle spring for the pad, you can get away without using them. Have they been fitted the correct way round?

sk8chris

Fresh Recruit
Thanks for the replies, no pics but the wear is pretty much dead in the centre of the old disc, and is happening again in the new one.

I had thought had I put the clip on the wrong way but its the same as the drivers side and I'm not getting the same problem.

Im going to have another look at it tomorrow so I'll try and get some pics, should I try it without the work out clip? will the pad still sit ok without it?

Jay

Admin
I don't remember the brake pad clips ever operating as a wear indicator chaps. You will definitely need to hold the pad in position so I wouldn't recommend running without those clips in case something goes wrong. Get us a few pics of the clip in question mate. Also take a pick of both sides of the brake disc and the pad surface.

Also make sure the brake shield isn't touching the disc surface at the back, it's quite common for them to bend with road debris/standing water.

Jay

dac69er

Super Moderator
I'll not argue with you but I'm right!

So how does it work exactly? Your pads get low so it gouges and jams up on your disc so you need to replace that too?
I've had starlets long enough to know its not a wear indicator.

sk8chris

Fresh Recruit
Ok got a chance to take the wheel off today and have hopefully figured out what was wrong. The clip I mentioned which was damaged, a piece had snapped off and got stuck under the break pad and started doing a bit of a number on the disc considering I'd only done a few miles. So I'm going to keep an eye on things and I'm guessing eventually the disc will smooth the groove out?

I didn't get a chance to take photos as the weather went bad and I wanted to get it done but I did get pics of the parts I took off originally, any ideas what caused this? as it definitely wasn't the same issue so there could still be an underlying problem I'm missing.

weeJohn

Lifer
It wont smooth out, the pad will always wear to suit the disc in the short term. But its going to wear the right way if you get what I mean. If there was a high point on the disc, it would wear a groove in the pad and shorten its life, this way the pad will not wear thinner in any part so I think you would get away with it.