Brakes rubbing after being stored for 3 years

sdutton007

Member +
Hi guys,

I've just got my old EP82 running again after 3 years of being in my garage after the bottom end went.

My problem is the brakes seem to be running all round - I've probably done 150 miles since getting it running again, and I was expecting the pads to have ripped any surface rust off by now....

Will it eventually wear off, or should I try some brake cleaner or some kind of anti-rust treatment?

I've already flushed the whole brake system through with dot 5.1 and would really rather not spend a fortune replacing the discs and pads all round....

Thanks

aidan

Member +
the pistons are probably half stuck on..if ya want to clean the rust off the discs take them off and give them a rub with a drill with a wire brush attachment on it

ryan_v

Lifer
Get the calipers off and make sure the pistions are moving back and forward freely. When there pushed out you can clean them up with some 3m scotchbrite and use some brake cleaner to get rid of any dirt.

If the pads are glazed or dirty you can rub a layer off them with some rough sand paper and brake cleaner them. They'll need bedded in after that. Copper Grease the side and metal back plate of the pad too.

Wire wheel the discs or use a DA sander to clean them up.

You might want to check your hand brake cable is free after the car lying up so long, they can give alot of bother.