Calipers problem???? Video!

Paul_JJ

Member +
The handbrake is off, the car is in Neutral.

What is wrong with my brakes????? I have just changed my front discs and pads - it has been about 600 miles, since I've changed them! Is it normal? I have brake squeal, when braking and some strange noise when driving!

EBC discs and Mintex Pads.

Front wheel - driver side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtTJbBLOu5Y

Front wheel - passenger side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnMF_3Wy_go&feature=channel

Rear wheel - passenger side - the driver side is exactly the same
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmxqEaoa1bw&feature=channel

My dealer cleaned the calipers last week and said that my calipers are perfectly fine and my rear brakes are in good condition!

Thank you in advance!

i can only speak for front ones as mine do the same with EBC disc's on fella n make that sort of scrapy noise but i dont get squeel.. did you clean the disc's before you fitted them with spirit to remove any residue that could have been on them causing the squeal?? & in regards to possibly the strange noise by any chance is it a clicking noise as i have it & it seems to be due to the grooves or dimples from either the pads hitting them or air passing over/through them and starts around 15mph and increases with speed and i know this as i had it in a garage thinking it was cv's/wheel bearings but we ended up discovering it was the disc's

Paul_JJ

Member +
i can only speak for front ones as mine do the same with EBC disc's on fella n make that sort of scrapy noise but i dont get squeel.. did you clean the disc's before you fitted them with spirit to remove any residue that could have been on them causing the squeal?? & in regards to possibly the strange noise by any chance is it a clicking noise as i have it & it seems to be due to the grooves or dimples from either the pads hitting them or air passing over/through them and starts around 15mph and increases with speed and i know this as i had it in a garage thinking it was cv's/wheel bearings but we ended up discovering it was the disc's

The discs were professionally fitted, with copper grease and cleaned with brake cleaner! Yes this is the clicking noise and not just that -) I believe there is something wrong with the calipers! I've seen the rear wheel spinning with brand new wheel bearing and good calipers - it would spin freely for over a minute!!!! Without making any noise at all!

davehart

Member +
Nothing wrong with those in my view, the rear one just touches the disc when let off and the front does it but slightly more.

Check the caliper is wound back in, may be why its like that but my fronts used to do that to.

yehh mine do it i dont think its a massive issue just means u might use a tad more fuel and brakepads ware a bit faster if they are constantly ever so slightly touching... but best bet is just take off the wheels and see if you can see light inbetween the disc and pad as im sure i could n mine still makes that slight grindy noise when free spun and deffo doesnt go for over a minute... that one must have had perfect wheel balance, all bearings and joints in perfect working order and the perfect weight wheel to balance the the kinetic energy against all the friction from the joints and bearings

Rob H

Member +
there should not be a visible gap between the disc and pad at all they should be just in contact at all times any sort of gap would mean excessive travel on the brake pedal and on the hand brake every thing in your videos looks fine to me you will always get more noise with drill and grooved discs its how they work.

Paul_JJ

Member +
I still think that it shouldn't be like that and it should rotate freely! I will look in to the caliper rebuild and will keep you posted!

Thank you for your help!