Cam cover - big problem :(

scoobykiller

Member +
Right folks i have to own up, i've been stupid.

Went to replace my rocker cover tonight (job i've done god knows how much times with no problems) anyway i was tightening up the nuts when CRACK i notice a split in the cam cover :(. So after undoing all the nut i find that the threaded rod has also snapped and stuck in the nut.

I need help :( can the threaded rods be replaced?

HELP

Jay

Admin
Should be fine so long as you can get the rest of the broken rod out (cam cover off again and inspect). There's plenty of cylinder heads available amongst us all to find you a replacement rod mate. Will also been available via Toyota if you are really stuck too.

Jay

scoobykiller

Member +
Cheers Jay, Mark1991 has a spare stud for me and a cam cover so thats fine, as for the broken stud ther is about 1.5 cm still in the cylinder head, whats the best way to get it out?

turboloon

Member +
get a stud removal kit halfords sell them ,it's like a socket that fits over the stud and as you crank the ratchet the tool grips the stud and eventually you back out remainder of the stud...put plenty of wd40 on the stud prior to removal...just noticed yer in aberdeenshire where abouts if yer close to buckie i have a stud removal set:)

yaristurbo

Member +
I did this also refitting the cams, stud extractor I used had to drill and get a extractor. Like playing operation lol