Car cutting out!

Greg0r

Member +
My car has started cutting out, under normal driving or left on idle.

The revs just drop and the engine dies,

looking at my FPR the pressure when it happens, it just drops to 0 and cuts out.

It always seems to start up again sometimes need to turn it about 20 times tho.

What you reckon fuel pump?

Craig_GT

Lifer
Have you recently fitted/changed anything mate?

my mates astra did something similar and turned out to be a split wire at the fuel pump.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
My car has started cutting out, under normal driving or left on idle.

The revs just drop and the engine dies,

looking at my FPR the pressure when it happens, it just drops to 0 and cuts out.

It always seems to start up again sometimes need to turn it about 20 times tho.

What you reckon fuel pump?

no i dont think its the fuel pump, well it could be, but more likely i think uv got a stuck injector... suggest u DONT drive it, pull apart the fuel system, ie regulator, fuel rail, injectors & fuel filter, & of course the fuel pump & get them checked out...

the fact its dropping so much is a good indication of bad seals on an injector, thats y it doesnt start, its prob flooding ur engine...

have u noticed bad mileage or anything recently?

kon

Elaine

Lifer
My car sometimes does this, happend twice today :( but she always starts again after.

I have an uprated fuel pump but I am sure it did it before I had that fitted.

HYBRID

hmmm has ur fuel filter ever been changed Elaine?

well u may wanna throw in a bottle of slic 50 & 20ltrs of petrol it should clear up ur system...

Spoonz

Member +
my friends car has similar simptoms but it was down the the idle control valve and dizzy cap the fuel press are you sayig it drops to 0 then car gose of or car gose of then it drops to 0?

Elaine

Lifer
hmmm has ur fuel filter ever been changed Elaine?

well u may wanna throw in a bottle of slic 50 & 20ltrs of petrol it should clear up ur system...

Yes was done with the last full service in Sep time, will be done again before the Hybrid goes on :)

Just another reason why I love my car so much lol Thanks Kon I will give it a go see if it sorts it :)

HYBRID

my friends car has similar simptoms but it was down the the idle control valve and dizzy cap the fuel press are you sayig it drops to 0 then car gose of or car gose of then it drops to 0?

i tried to figure that one out myself... it could be his idle valve is sticking as well.. but since he said his fuel pressure was dying i assumed hes got a stuck injector...

but if its the other way round it still isnt good, as u shouldnt loose fuel pressure that quickly...

well the fpr guage should remain set for a little while after u turn off....then slowly drop......
from what u say...i think u have a leak/problem in your fuel system somewhere....or your guage is not working

Spoonz

Member +
^^^^not always my mates donsnt sit there it gose straight to 0 depends how the fuel lines are if there long then it wont hold it for to long after the ignition is of.

Greg0r

Member +
The fuel pressure on the FPR gauge drops to 0 then the engine dies almost immediately....

Now it wont start at all :(

The only thing ive done recently is turn the idle up as it was idling really low, it started to cut out a couple of days after I did this, but ive since adjusted that back to how it was before but it still wont start.

tbh ive noticed the MPG being really poor for awhile now

So where you reckon i start? going to get the fuel pump out tomorrow see if i can see anything wrong there

-Harry-

Member +
Same thing happened to me, turned out to be a faulty plug on the fuel pump.

Is the feul pump working when your trying to start the car. Get some plyers and pull off the return line next time its doing it. When you crank it, it should piss out fuel. If no fuel then check the wiring to your pump. Start there.

Still all good start pulling out your injectors, pluging them in and cranking it to see if your getting spark

Greg0r

Member +
Right ive just removed the return line and there is petrol there, its leaks out but when i crank the engine is doesnt gush out any faster, so im guessing it is going to be fuel pump problems.

I was messing with the idle valve before this happened, so if it is stuck whats the best way to fix it?

Spoonz

Member +
wire the fuel pump to a permentant live and see if the return line pisses out with fuel if so then you have a loose connection on the plug. The plug is located behind the center console at the back

Greg0r

Member +
Sorted it! :)

Took the fuel pump out and could clearly see a slightly loose connection, obviously didnt do a very good job of fitting it first time around.

Anyway up and running straight away.

Thanks alot for the help guys.... :)

HYBRID

lol... :D happy days!

glad to hear ur sorted bro!

good thing it was nothing serious too :)

Petey

Member +
ive got exactly the same problem with mine now, started about 5 days ago.... had the fuel pump out and to bits, all is fine...... have a play under the bonnet, just unplug stuff and see what happens.... i found that its my FPR that had gone, so im just waitin on my new one to arrive!
Seems like a common problem? bloody annoyin when your drivin upto traffic lights and it dies on you though.... then you cant start it, you look like a right muppet!! lol