Car feels alot faster after head-rebuild

ktl

Member +
I'v just replaced standard HG to an Athena 1.4mm (chose this because the head been skimed a couple of times)
I pend a line across the dizy to the head so i dont mes up with the timing (As its been tweaked by the EMU)

However the car pulls so much faster and quicker now and worried that i might be detting, possibly advanced the time from messing around with the dizzy ? Or i got a higher compression ratio now ?

AFR shows mid 11.5-11 at full WOT.

Question is - how safe am i to drive the car ?

Thanks

Last edited:

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
its probaly bcus you have decent compression across all four pots, compared to when u last drove it eric.
afr's seem ok mate.
get it dyno'd or a power run and sure there tell yu if something is up.
in mean time just dont blat it about everywhere, till you know its safe.

ktl

Member +
its probaly bcus you have decent compression across all four pots, compared to when u last drove it eric.
afr's seem ok mate.
get it dyno'd or a power run and sure there tell yu if something is up.
in mean time just dont blat it about everywhere, till you know its safe.

Yeah well thats the only thing i can do i guess -

ktl

Member +
Having putting back the dizzy where it was original set is there any way of advancing the timing ?

Chris@CCM

Member +
Keep in mind with better sealing valves etc the ve of ur engine will be more so it could well be deting due to this alone y not make up some diy det cans and see ,

ktl

Member +
Keep in mind with better sealing valves etc the ve of ur engine will be more so it could well be deting due to this alone y not make up some diy det cans and see ,

Chris - Thanks for the info, I am looking at getting a Phormular knock sensor kit.

Chris@CCM

Member +
Chris - Thanks for the info, I am looking at getting a Phormular knock sensor kit.
Let me tell u something 4 years ago I spend 500 pounds on that kit and it's useless diy det cans is what every tuner over here uses and IMO it's the only way to go on the road I can here even v v some amounts of Det b4 the likes of a link knock link can
U can make then for under 20 pounds

Rev

Member +

That's interesting Chris, so does compression also get effected much by having ex. valves properly seated, maybe so you can't run as much boost ?

Texx

Super Moderator

ktl

Member +
Let me tell u something 4 years ago I spend 500 pounds on that kit and it's useless diy det cans is what every tuner over here uses and IMO it's the only way to go on the road I can here even v v some amounts of Det b4 the likes of a link knock link can
U can make then for under 20 pounds

Chris - again brilliant, i'll look at making one soon as then.

ktl

Member +
Get hold of something like this:

Sound Amplifier Hearing Aid

Take it apart and remove the microphone and attach it to a good heavy duty metal crocodile clip:

HEAVY DUTY CROCODILE / ALIGATOR CLIPS

Then rewire the microphone to the sound amplifier with a length of shielded mic cable:

MIC PATCH CABLE MICROPHONE 1.5M

It'll cost you less than £15 and shouldn't take longer than about 10 minutes to make something that will enable you to listen out for dentonation.

Thanks Texx -

Chris@CCM

Member +
pm me when ur making them dude i fire u a link u use copper pipe as u can end up with to much back round noise

Chris@CCM

Member +
That's interesting Chris, so does compression also get effected much by having ex. valves properly seated, maybe so you can't run as much boost ?

well if there sealing better now then they were clearly you will have more compression know what im saying ? not saying u cant run as much boost just the engine might not need as much timing

Rev

Member +
well if there sealing better now then they were clearly you will have more compression know what im saying ? not saying u cant run as much boost just the engine might not need as much timing

So it comes back to the main answer of listen for knock and and adjust the timing as necessary. Would safc 2 knock detector do the job ? I have heard they are more sensitive when setup in cold weather but not sure how cold is needed. ( or maybe there is just more knock to listen to when cold ? )

Last edited: