car pulls slightly left or right

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
just got my car back today had lsd fitted on drive home felt the car pulling to the right so had to correct with steering ended up with sore arm went and got trackin checked was off but only a little bit they then set the trackin to five both sides it now pulls a little either way bit scary driving straight and the car pulls to left then pulls to right did they set tracking wrong should it not be 5 either side anybody had this

Rory

Lifer
Setting it to 5 means nothing if you dont know where the wheels are pointing. Im presuming they set the car to zero toe ie: set the thing up square?

What diff did you have installed?

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
it a cusco diff they used laser line to set it up it got the scales on the rear wheels and the lasers on front point backwards so they both set to five but dont know if that right toe setting for starlets
cheer chris

dark_knight

Member +
toe in? toe out?

really..? FWD are to be set toe-out when tracking..? can anyone verify this..? how much toe are they to be given then..?

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
I've always thought the front would toe out and the rear to toe in, only slightly though, nothing to drastic on a road car.
Chris, did you not get a spec sheet when the tracking was done?

dark_knight

Member +
front toe-out

ok AdamB, so then why is (technically) that the fronts are to be set slightly toe-out..? is it because when the car is gaining ground (plowing forward on acceleration) then the slight tow-out helps correct the offset..?

weeJohn

Lifer
It could be a bad camber setting that is causing it, they possibly removed the shocks from the hubs when taking the shafts out of the hubs and didnt put it back together the same. I would go for a 4 wheel alignment as it will check camber or get the camber set with a gauge then the alignment re done.

Paul_JJ

Member +
really..? FWD are to be set tow out when tracking..? can anyone verify this..? how much toe are they to be given then..?

Yeah I read something about it, it would help on HIGHLY powered FWD to keep the car straight under heavy acceleration. I personally just have toe to zero, don't run serious power -)

dark_knight

Member +
you can only adjust camber at the top-mount if you have camber-adjustable dampers. if you are running on the stock (non-adjustable) dampers, you can influence some slight degree of camber from the 'pinch bolts' like Texx mentioned -- this is the link between the steering knuckle and the damper strut. hope that makes sense..

dark_knight

Member +
yes ChrisStarletGT, but i'm sure you couldn't have taken the trannie off without removing the drive shafts.. & that often means dropping the steering knuckles from the dampers.. & you can never ever really get them back spot on the way they were.. :)

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
When i did my clutch myself i just undone the bottom ball joint on the hub removed shaft from hun then from gearbox this is how i was trained to do it at college y waste time removing brake calipers so u can remove hub to get shaft out so i assume the ppl who fitted the diff would hv done the same ad me