Changing crank seal timing belt side

ashbash107

Member +
I have recently re sealed my sump but there is still oil coming out of the timing belt area, so I'm guessing it's the crank seal??

Would just like some advice on changing it? Does it take long? I'm guessing I should change the timing belt as well? And this may sound like a dumb question but do I have to drain the engine of oil or can I get away with not, as Iv recently changed the oil like a week ago!?

Any information would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Yes i would, for the sake of what a timing belt costs it would be advisory to do that also. Drain the oil into a clean tub or container and re-use it, no harm in doing so since it was only done a week ago.

I would imagine it is the crank seal coming from that side since thats the main culprit at times.

My advice is to take the engine out, the time footering around with the engine in place would no doubt accumulate to more time than it is to remove the whole engine incase you never planned on removing it.

Also its worth checking the bottom of your timing case at the crankshaft pulley to see if you notice any damp patches or drips of oil, should be easily identifiable once you remove the timing case if its leaking.

davehart

Member +
You can do the timing belt side with the engine in? I would have thought it would be easier than ripping the whole engine out, just lower it down a little once the right hand mount is off and you have plenty of room to remove the seal. That way worked better for me anyway :)

Iain@CRD

Lifer
You can do the timing belt side with the engine in? I would have thought it would be easier than ripping the whole engine out, just lower it down a little once the right hand mount is off and you have plenty of room to remove the seal. That way worked better for me anyway :)

You certainly can Dave, i just prefer removing the engine for these tasks as its normally just as quick for myself.

dac69er

Super Moderator
You certainly can Dave, i just prefer removing the engine for these tasks as its normally just as quick for myself.

is easy if you have a workshop with engine cranes and ramps, but on axle stands on your driveway it a lot easier to leave the engine in. especially for something as easy as a cambelt change!!!!