Cheap As Chips' Rust Removal And Parts Cleaner

Luke.R

Member +
I think coke does the same job.

One good thing is that starlets don't really have a rust problem, my be a good way to clean up my coilovers lol.

Jay

Admin
One good thing is that starlets don't really have a rust problem.

I feel I must pick up on that statement Luke, just for the record.

There isn't a rust problem now but it's worth inspecting the insides of the sills on any EP that has been in the country for an extended time. The sills can gather salt from the UK roads and start rusting from the inside out.

Was one of the first things I checked on my mk1 GT before the restoration started. Thankfully she is clear!

ann_kelvin

Member +
I feel I must pick up on that statement Luke, just for the record.

There isn't a rust problem now but it's worth inspecting the insides of the sills on any EP that has been in the country for an extended time. The sills can gather salt from the UK roads and start rusting from the inside out.

Was one of the first things I checked on my mk1 GT before the restoration started. Thankfully she is clear!

where should be check?? mind to share?? really start to worry my ep91 will get rust :(

saddler

Member +
take the plastic sill trim off and use this product i took this from my build, Its always better to do it before there is a problem.. i dont think starlets have a problem with the rear arches but i still posted to show the results...
I ordered two Dynax S50 its a high-performance anti-corrosion wax
http://www.bilthamber.com/dynaxs50.html
that provides exceptionally long-lasting protection to steel surfaces. It creeps into welded seams and seals surface defects. Dynax S50 forms a soft, brown, wax-like film that self-heals in the event of disruption. the total cost for the 2 x 700ml Cans is £ 28.85 to the door each can comes with a 60cm cavity injection lance thats can be attached for the hard to reach places
dsc0003os1.jpg

dsc0001gv2.jpg

As the see the lance covers all round spray pattern
dsc0005gg4.jpg

First pass i did the seam as this is where the car will rust first..
dsc0006eu5.jpg

completed a finished
dsc0013oh3.jpg

also did the both sills.
dsc0007ba3.jpg

no bad for the price..

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
A hidden enemy..

That's the very answer man, rep on it's way. I'll shift this into the body technical forum for future reference. Your info could save a lot of us heartache - prevention is so much better than cure!

Just to show you what 5 or 6 years of UK use can do to a GT:

rustongts1kp8.jpg

05022006237gs1.jpg

05022006238rf8.jpg

05022006239dh0.jpg

05022006240pl8.jpg

05022006241lc3.jpg

Now I can see a lot of inner trims being ripped out at the weekend in a panicked and frenzied fashion.. Hope this doesn't give anyone nightmares!

Jay

gv1.3

Admin
also for small parts with horrid bits to try clean such as carbs get yourself an ultrasonic cleaner... they are great

Dave.

Member +
Ah!

So thats why my sills are full of stuff?!

I've always wonder, it looks like some kind of mand polystyrene the full length of both sills...

Dave