Clutch problems

lanxter

Member +
Well im on my 4th clutch since owning my EP82 and they all keep failing with the same problem and want to know why.

The springs on the pressure plate keep coming loose or rubbing till they are worn down.

I've had 3 different brands of clutches and had them fitted by 3 different garages and still the same problem.

Anyone had this problem?

Each time all the parts have been brand new and I've had the fly wheel skimmed.

dac69er

Super Moderator
do you mean the friction plate mate? how long do the clutches tend to last mileage wise? what type of driving do you normally do?

also, what clutches have you been using and what power is your car running?

lanxter

Member +
Yes buddy, the plate itself is fine and plenty left on it. Its the springs on the palte that keep coming out all together.

First one lasted about 2months. Second one was a year but was noisey after around 2 weeks.

3rd one I had took out after a week as it was so loud. I had another under warrenty and now its loud again after a month so I'm expecting the same thing.

So far I've had an exidy, CAP and now on my second competition clutch.

Cars varried in power had problems even when it was pretty much standard.

Now I'm not sure of the power output but the clutch is rated to 400ft/lb and im only running 1.4bar on a td04.

lanxter

Member +
Sorry didn't see the mileage bit mate, I'm not doing many miles in it as its my weekend car. Most of the time gets driven steady sometimes a bit fast road.

Texx

Super Moderator
3 different clutches installed by 3 different people resulting in the same failure with the same driver... could possibly be something to do with the way the car is driven?

Excessive shock loads on the friction disc from driving too slow in too high a gear or skipping a gear or two when shifting down the box could be possible causes for a damper spring to break out.

lanxter

Member +
Yeah I know what your saying buddy. But the clutch I had in before all this was fine for 3 years and i don't have any problems with my daily driver either. I don't really drive the GT that harsh in all honesty.

I Only really drive it at weekends and not many miles at that, so even if I gave it death for I'd expect it to last more than a week surely?

aidan

Member +
well i think the only reason for the springs to come loose like that is from pure dogging realy

John@ECC

Lifer
Why not order the rigid plate??? We installed one in wee John's car reciently and i thought it would be a bit hard to drive with but i honestly seen very little difference between it and the sprung plate.

dark_knight

Member +
rigid plate

@John@ECC: but isn't the rigid plate going to take away all the buffering offered by the springs on deceleration..? or did i get you wrong..? :(

dark_knight

Member +
thanks dac69er for confirming that. if that's the case then i wouldn't really want to swap for a rigid plate. coz then you'll just transfer your load of likely problems to your trannie and soon other places as well.. :(

John@ECC

Lifer
Sorry i should of phrase that better. I thought the rigid plate wouldnt of been as nice to drive with but to be honest we have fitted alot of rigid plate to subaru's, evo's and starlets and they drive very nice with them.

lanxter

Member +
Why not order the rigid plate??? We installed one in wee John's car reciently and i thought it would be a bit hard to drive with but i honestly seen very little difference between it and the sprung plate.

Thats what the guy who fitted the last 2 has said. As hes really good and said he can't understand why the springs keep coming out.

dark_knight

Member +
burning holes..

well, at this point, i ask to excuse myself and wash my hands on this matter since i have zero experience with the rigid-plate setup. theoretically speaking though, other than transferring 100% of the jolts and bumps to/from the engine/transmission, i don't think there's any other mechanical threat it poses to your setup. maybe you can go ahead and give it a shot..? hoping it does not burn a hole in your pocket.. then a hole in your transmission.. :D

lanxter

Member +
My pocket is already empty buddy, having to keep buying clutch's and having them fitted is rather expensive lol

weeJohn

Lifer
If the springs are rubbing then maybe there was to much took off the flywheel and the springs are hitting the middle bit of the flywheel before the friction plate hits the face.

Is there scores in the centre of the flywheel to show this might be happening?

Texx

Super Moderator
If the springs are rubbing then maybe there was to much took off the flywheel and the springs are hitting the middle bit of the flywheel before the friction plate hits the face.

That's a good thought! Are the springs breaking out from the flywheel side or pressure plate side of the friction disc?