Comparison question....

Jaak

Member +
Found this:
graph1.jpg

Rik

Member +
My mate has a mk1 golf, but i think it has an engine from a 2.0. It doesn't hang around! I imagine a starlet will be quicker than the 1.8 though :)

sx_turbo

Lifer
starlet will be quicker, but they will be completely different to drive.

i suggest driving one to make up your mind, shouldnt really compare the 2 types really

Beaker

Member +
A Mk1 Golf would beat a Starlet all day long round the twistys. Even with coilovers I would not want to put much money on a starlet. 810kg 120bhp and handling to die for.

Jay

Admin
The Mk1 Golf will win in the style sakes but little else. Gotta love the old skool cool..:cool:

Deano

Banned
I highly doubt a mark 1 golf would beat a starlet around the twisties the suspension is over 20 years old it would be worn out and wouldn't handle anywhere near as good as it did 20+ years ago maybe the handling back then was great but by todays standards it's not so good. Coilovers are crap imo as they give an uncomfortable ride and in nz they have to be certified which costs heaps and I reckon they handle worse than lowering springs and decent aftermarket shocks.

All I have is lowering springs and monroe gt shocks and it handles mint around the corners I also have a rear strut brace and a rear sway bar on the way