Compression test nunce!!

JohnOBrien8

Member +
Ok done a compression test earlier on my glanza,the results were 120psi across all cylinders,but made an awful mistake,never held the throttle open when i was turning over the engine!I was too busy worrying about the results!!
will i have to do a re-test or are them results ok?
what differences would i see if the throttle was open fully?
Cheers John

Tanz

Lifer
Ya you will have to re test,,without the throttle completely open it wont give an accurate reading...

corofin12345

Member +
am, with the throttle closed it shouldnt give that low of reading, ive lower comp pistons than stock and i got 150psi across across all 4 with throttle closed

corofin12345

Member +
ud need one hell of a gasket to get those readings..(maybe gauge wont pass 120???) seems very very low??? try again with W.O.T to see.. you positive it was 120psi? thats the reading people get on one cylinder if its well goosed, 160psi,170psi would be normal for a stock engine...

JohnOBrien8

Member +
as i said in the other thread i re-done the test with the throttle open and a brand new tester!which was 140 euro!
i got 150PSI across all cylinders!just shows how the throttle position makes a big difference!how do these results sound?
Thanks
John

Johnny_C

Lifer
ive never done a compression test with the throttle open,ever.
and ive always got acurate readings.

john thats sounds low,but doesnt mean its bad,may have lower comp pistons or a thick gasket.

JohnOBrien8

Member +
Yeah johnny thats what im thinking,next thing i need to look at is timing if it was a tad off would it cause a small bit of smoke?
we,ll ive done both 120psi on all cylinders with throttle closed,150psi on all cylinders with throttle open!

Johnny_C

Lifer
what colour is the smoke?if your sriving,and boost it,when you let off,then put your foot down again,does it give a puff out the rear?

JohnOBrien8

Member +
i think its white,maybe with a small tint of blue,smells oily,no i didnt notice any smoke when driving,just noticed it there again when sittin outside the off license waiting for my friend!lol!was driving for about half an hour then just stopped idling!

Johnny_C

Lifer
i think its white,maybe with a small tint of blue,smells oily,no i didnt notice any smoke when driving,just noticed it there again when sittin outside the off license waiting for my friend!lol!was driving for about half an hour then just stopped idling!

try it the say i suggested,driving,and boost it, let off your foot off the throttle a few secs,then put your foot down again,and look for a puff.

Texx

Super Moderator
i got 150PSI across all cylinders! how do these results sound?

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

The stock engine in my GT with 90K miles gives 155psi across all 4. The engine has never been apart, doesn't smoke or burn any significant amount of oil, and doesn't hang around either when you put your toe into it.

Sounds more likely to be a turbo problem.