Compression test results: good or bad?

A172

Member +
Hey guys, it would be great if you could assist me here..

I recently did a compression test on my 4efte and the results were 140 exact on
all 4 cylinders...

Are these results good or bad? Been searching the forum but haven't found anything conclusive soo.....

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

FeNder

Member +
i think the average would be 160 , but that would be accceptable depending on ur spec , whether thicker headgasker , and/or lower comp. pistons ?

nexia201

Member +
that seem to be a bit low i got 153 on mine with the ringland broken but then they are all thesame so it could be worn out rings on all 4 pistons. they should be in the region of 165 - 170psi. Did you do the test properly with the throttle open?

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
the result will vary depending on if the engine is tested hot or cold..

those results are SPOT ON for your engine.. as long as all cylinder pressures are within 7psi of each other then u dont have any problems..

kon

GTdan

In The Closet
as hybrid said - there all the same as each other, so theres no piston damage - did mine yesterday and got slighlty higher results of 154-157 across all four.

I wouldnt be worried about your results.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
why such difference on same engine specs?? mine where between 11 and 12 bar :S

Loads of different variables shell, god I love that word!

Are you getting any excessive oil consumption, what was your main reason for testing if you have an issue let us know.

T

A172

Member +
no issues...car runs well...just wanted to know the condition the engine's in...

i did the test after letting the car cool down for a while if that makes any difference....

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
no issues...car runs well...just wanted to know the condition the engine's in...

i did the test after letting the car cool down for a while if that makes any difference....

oh.. lol. you have to make the test with the engine in operating temps :) as a cold and hot engine will give different readings

GTdan

In The Closet
as sheldon said - take if for a nice driver for 20mins or so, and leave to idle for a further 10mins, will make sure oil and water are all up to normal operating temperatures.

A172

Member +
lol...well if that is what I was supposed to do to get an accurate reading i definitely didn't...I drove the car to the mech lightly and let it cool off for some time before we did the test...car was off for a while before the test was done...

thanks a lot guys...feel a bit more confident now.

fur

Member +
really doesn't matter what the tester says once they are all within close proximity
loads of things to consider, such as starting motor torque, battery power and guage quality so consistency is what ure looking for not a magic number.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
really doesn't matter what the tester says once they are all within close proximity
loads of things to consider, such as starting motor torque, battery power and guage quality so consistency is what ure looking for not a magic number.

yeah but they seem low and he said he did it wrong. once there was someone who posted result first he done it the wrong way than he done it the right way and the results where much much difference in pressure from each cylinder

lvaleiron

Member +
reading this make me feel ok then, my car readings where 159 psi on all four cylinder, maybe a 1~2 psi difference max. I let the engine cool down a bit before doing the test.:p. BTW this is a ep82 4efte engine.

Bullet00th

Member +
Think I got between 130-140 on all my cylinders. Still pulls well and seems ok. But whos knows... As said, as long as the numbers are roughly the same I wouldn't worry too much if you have no issues.

Matt