Council (poor road conditions) claim

Craig_GT

Lifer
Hey,

I am looking for some advice: Last week i hit a pothole and it fcuked one of my shocks (Potenza adjustable shocks-which are apparently rare and expensive)
I'm obv goin to have to replace all eventually, but with it bein so near Chrimbo i cant afford to do it so it will have to b just both rear for now as a temp fix.

What sort of information do i need before i can put in a claim? Also what are the chances of a payout?

I was thinking:

street name
date and time
photos of hole
pics of damage
reciept for parts and labour

any help from people who have been in this situation appreciated.

Cheers,

Craig

Dave.

Member +
i'm pretty sure thats even more than you'd need! :D

I wanted to do the same after i fucked up my old cars driver side front shocker hitting a HUGE pothole :( but it proved a LOT of work and i couldn't be arsed lol

btw, i spotted you in charing X last week stuck in traffic (same as me! :( ) car was looking very shiny!

Craig_GT

Lifer
i'm pretty sure thats even more than you'd need! :D

I wanted to do the same after i fucked up my old cars driver side front shocker hitting a HUGE pothole :( but it proved a LOT of work and i couldn't be arsed lol

btw, i spotted you in charing X last week stuck in traffic (same as me! :( ) car was looking very shiny!

Awell heres hopin they cough up.. grudge paying road tax cos roads are a mess!!

must have been mon this wk u seen me? car got valleted as a favour on sat so she was extra shiny on Mon.. then on way home i hit a pothole!! :flame:

skyinsurance

Member +
The council will do their level best to get away from paying you. IIRC they will only pay out if the pothole has been reported and thy failed to fix it within 24 hours.
I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting any money back from them

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Last edited:

Nwimie

Member +
needs to be deeper than 10cm in bristol which is quite ridiculas. good luck claiming as you cant really prove it was that pothole that did the damage.

Monkfish

Member +
Take photo's with a compact 35mm film camera, NOT a digital camera (They will claim digital images can be edited). Write a nice, polite letter (Make sure your spelling and grammar is spot on!) to the council explaining the situation, damage caused and the location and damage in the road. DON'T mention the shocks are rare.

The council will do their level best to get away from paying you. IIIC they will only pay out if the pothole has been reported and thy failed to fix it within 24 hours.
I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting any money back from them

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Yes, they will try to avoid paying you and your chances are slim of actually seeing any decent money from them. However, it is the council's responsibility to maintain the serviceability of the roads in their remit. After all, you pay your road tax and council tax, why should you have to drive on shit roads? The answer is, you shouldn't. Trouble is, the councillors tend to be sandal wearing hippies and put roads and cars way down on the list of responsibilities, under drinking whiskey and getting payed too fucking much.

Dave.

Member +
Monkfish;87614under drinking whiskey and getting payed too fucking much.[/QUOTE said:
LOL just a little bit bitter about it then ;)

At the end of the day, you'll get fook all if you don't try.

skyinsurance

Member +
As I said... the council have only done something wrong if the pothole has been reported and they have not fixed it within 24 hours. You will also need evidence that the pothole has been reported. Dont get your hopes up.

Gord R

Member +
The road i commute on is getting into a real bad state of repair and my wheels are taking some serious clouts and is only a matter of time till one gets smashed.

I wonder if there is anything i can do?